Illumi x Reader | Dauntless

Illumi requested by JoelleAu

-

"Big day for her tomorrow, eh?"

A laugh, followed by the scuffling of hard-metal boots on a concrete floor.

"Big day for all of them."

Your eyes blinked open. You stare at the metal chains that bound your hands and feet and a troubled smile flickered on your face.

Tomorrow, eh?

Big day indeed... Execution day.

You sighed, and the chains rattled slightly as your chest moved inward. The ceiling was damp again, but you were used to this cold and stingy place they called a prison.

You've been in this holding cell for the past five years. Ever since you took the blame for an unsanctioned murder. The death of a particular kingdom's only heir.

No one knew, that it wasn't you that killed the poor guy. It was Illumi. However, you were the cause for his death. A mistaken infatuation - and Illumi wasn't the sharing type.

You could only hope that Illumi was doing fine, that he didn't miss you too much. The years have been harsh, and your face was far more weathered and matured since you last saw him so long ago. Would he still remember you?

He was so happy when you knew him. A bright and flowery child that was just a tad too possessive. But it was alright, you only had eyes for him anyways.

You wondered what he was up to now, and if he was still happy. Would he be happy? You've been separated for such a long time now, surely Illumi had moved on and found someone else, right?

Drip. A single droplet lands on your nose, and a silent sneeze flew out. The rags around your body shivered and your body screamed in pain. Ah. That was a teardrop... Your nose had been broken a day ago - apparently you had glanced at one of the guards improperly.

The salty teardrop had singed and teared at the exposed flesh of your face, but you bit your tongue to keep the scream inside. The last time someone had screamed in this hell... it was also their last time.

After all, this place was for the "broken" ones. The ones sentenced to death, those whose spirits had been broken and had nothing left in life.

But you were different, you had him. All this time, Illumi was the reason you were able to keep your sanity and hope. After all, in the beginning, you weren't trailed a death sentence, just an extremely long period in jail. So, you had hope - that one day you would leave, and that you would see him again.

Just one more glance, one chance to tell him the words you've kept hidden this whole time... that would be enough. But when you told this final wish, to see Illumi again, to the guards... They had sneered and spit at you, mocking you.

That was fine then... As long as his secret wasn't leaked, as long as the relationship between the Zoldyck family and that kingdom wasn't ruined, as long as Illumi didn't get into trouble with his family. You would gladly take it to the grave.

After all, for the one you love, you would do anything.

|::|

Screams. Shrill and loud. Sounds of pain and agony flooded the cave. Your eyes blinked open again. The two that guarded you were nowhere in sight.

What was happening? You spit out the piece of metal in between your teeth and quickly freed yourself from the shackles. Slinking low and keeping to the shadows, you wield the piece of metal as a pick lock once more and slip into the empty cavern.

There was screaming coming from the entrance - or at least you thought it was the entrance, both tunnels in front of you were equally as dark and menacing - and you crept towards it. Enemies of your enemy were your friends, right?

You finally arrived at a horrific scene. There was a long raven-haired person standing in the midst of a ring of guards. Blood and guts swirled in the low tidal pool at the bottom of the cave, and a baleful and deathly aura surrounded the person.

"Where is she?" A deep voice rang out. Something tugged at you, and you crawled behind a rock, slowly leering over to see who was causing the commotion.

"Fuck off!" The captain of the guard screamed at the intruder, and once more charged into battle.

The man in the middle turned towards the guard, and seemingly with a single glance, killed him. The rest of the guards shuffled nervously. They had saw their captain confront this man, but the next second he had died. They were simply ordinary citizens who showed slight potential in nen. How could they possibly know that the one in front of them was a master assassin - Illumi!

You were behind the speaker, but he had sensed your presence. He turned around with the fury of a death god, but his face was emotionless and colder than ice.

"Whoever is hiding behind that rock, you have five seconds to come out. Or I'll kill you."

Fear instilled itself into your heart, and you found it hard to move. However, the man with fearsome power started to countdown, so you forced your feet to move forwards.

And as you did, you slowly lifted your head up.

Silence. Absolute silence flooded the cave. You could say it was deathly silence, since Illumi had killed the ring of guards around him in the mere seconds you took to come out from behind the rock.

So, as it was... deathly silence. Then... a thunderous whisper that shook your heart.

That whisper... was the nickname he called you.

Tears flooded your eyes, yet still silence prevailed in the bloody cavern.

Illumi's icy demeanor cracked as a smile lit up his entire face. It pained your heart to see, because you could tell - he hadn't smiled for quite a while. Yet, even with that pain, you couldn't believe your eyes.

He was here! You finally had the chance to see him again! What's more, he was here to save you!

You flung yourself at him, and finally, finally, your throat was able to make sounds. Sounds of sobbing flooded the cavern as all the years of worry and suffering bubbled forth.

He was silent, only running his hand down your matted and dirty hair. He paid no heed to the bloody mist that was rising from the corpses, only to the one in his arms at the moment.

"I'm so sorry. I failed you... We won't be able to show ourselves in society ever again, but I couldn't let them kill you."

You shook your head. Still not able to comprehend it all.

"Seeing you again... It's enough. It's enough!"

Illumi stretched his hand out tenderly, and ran it down your face. He swept away the tears and pressed his forehead to yours.

"I should have been more dauntless. I should have defied father sooner. For you, I'm willing to do anything... Are you upset?"

You rapidly shook your head. Only now was it all dawning on you. He left his family. He broke his shackles. For you, he would defy the world. So, in turn... You would give him the world.

"How can I be mad, at the one I love?"

|::|

A/N:

*cue kiss, cam zooms out, glorious sunset.*

//slapped//

ugh, I can't.

im sorry if you don't like it.

im gonna.

just.

ya 

bye!