twenty seven

"Wait are you serious?" I stared at Ben in shock.

"I'm completely serious, Sof." He said.

"You know, I could make her call you daddy if you did." I joked.

"That's Ciara's job. Plus she'd be happy, of course after mourning." He smiled.

"I think you should talk to Ciara, first." I shrugged.

"I don't think she would have any problem with it. She could even be her other legal guardian. Only if everyone agreed on it, though." Ben stood up.

The door swung open and Denis stood there.

"I guess everyone's leaving." He told us.

I nodded and got off the bed.

"Is it cool if I chill here for a while?" Ben asked.

I looked to Denis and he nodded.

"Alright. Sweet." Ben said and moved up closer to Kassidy.

We left them and went to say goodbye to our friends. I hugged them all.

"Make sure you don't get drunk again and go on a joy ride. Ciara and I will not come and get you guys again." I scolded them.

"Yes, mother." Cameron said sarcastically.

"Wait, what happened?" Sam asked.

"Your friends decided they wanted pizza so, they were all drunk and they piled into Bens' car. They ran out of gas and then we had to go get them. It was a very eventful night." I explained.

James had a cheeky grin on his face.

"Get out of my apartment, Cassells." I rolled my eyes.

He chuckled and gave me another hug, before leaving the building. Cameron and Sam did the same and we were left with Ciara, Ben, and Kassidy.

I noticed Ciara was missing from her place on the couch.

Denis nodded towards the kitchen and went to go sit down. I went into the room and Ben and Ciara were talking. They stopped as I walked in.

"Uh, sorry." I apologized.

"It's fine. Ben was explaining the situation to me." Ciara shook her head.

I nodded and sat on the counter.

"Well, what're your feelings on it?" I asked.

"I would have no problem with it. No one wants to see her be taken away, especially me." She sighed.

I nodded again. I didn't really know what to say.

"How do we have to do this?" Ben questioned as Denis came into the room.

"You need to go to the county's office. The court will set up an interview with you, Ciara, and Kassidy. They would do a background check with both of you and a home inspection. Kassidy would need to show interest in it. She has to give the court permission for it to happen. You'll sign an oath saying you agree to become her guardians, the judge will give you permission and then it'll be done with." I said.

Denis stood in between my thighs and I wrapped my arms around his waist.

"Are you guys sure you're up to this? You'd be her parents." Denis commented.

Ben and Ciara looked at each other, seeming to mentally converse. Ciara nodded.

"Yeah. We are." She said.

"I should probably go talk to her." I mumbled.

"How about we all do it, love?" Denis turned and faced me.

I nodded and took his hand in mine, while Ben went to wake Kassidy up.

***

"So they're going to be my parents?" My younger sister asked, after we had explained everything to her.

"Only if you want us to be." Ben shrugged.

Kassidy hesitated while looking towards Ben and I. She had a blank look on her face and I couldn't figure out what she was thinking.

"So what do you say?" Denis poked her leg.

Her face slowly morphed into a slight smile and she nodded.

A look of relief spread across Ben and Ciaras' faces.

"Alright. We'll go to the state tomorrow." Ben nodded excitedly.

OK THIS IS PROBABLY KIND OF WEIRD TO END THE LAST CHAPTER LIKE THAT, BUT THE EPILOGUE WRAPS IT ALL UP.