Chapter Thirty Two: Maia

This day is the day I truly realized. It's the day I realized why I felt oddly whenever I was around that one specific person.

I was sitting on the couch, stroking Andy. We were binging on Doctor Who while eating cookies. It was a simple morning, which were some of my favorites.

It was simple until the doorbell rang. I pushed Andy off of my lap and onto the couch before plodding over to the door. I had been getting a lot of unexpected visitors lately. Mostly they were my friends. Whoever it was would have to deal with a messy bun, an overly large sweatshirt, and overly short pajama pants.

I swung the door open to find Dan giddily standing there. It's interesting to watch a six foot three man dance in his shoes. I was scared he would cause the floor to cave in.

"Maia!" he greeted, "I have something to ask you."

I lifted an eyebrow but gestured for him to go on. I swear, he was trying to hard to contain his excitement. I was waiting for him to say something, but he never did. Instead, he lifted his hands and completed a sentence composed of gestures.

My hands flew to my mouth. I understood every word he just said, in sign language.

Will you go on a date with me?

Just the fact that he learned sign language was amazing to me. Nobody, minus Beatrice and our Aunt, had ever learned sign language for me. Now, Dan, whom I had only known a month and a half, goes above and beyond for our friendship.

"What do you say?" he asked, awkwardly hopeful.

I felt tears brimming at my eyes. I couldn't believe it. It seems like a small gesture to most people, but to me, it meant the world. In response, I leapt forward and hugged his shoulders. He had to crouch a bit, but we managed.

"Is that a yes?" he asked.

I pulled away and nodded before returning to hug him. He wrapped his arms around my waist, hugging back tightly. When we pulled apart, our grins couldn't have been wider.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow night at seven?" he asked.

I nodded. He leaned down, kissed my cheek and said, "See you then, lovely."

With that, he left me standing in the doorway, trying to keep from dancing about the halls. This was the best day of my life. At least, so far.

I shut the door and jumped a little in my place. The pure excitement and joy of what just happened was exploding in my gut. I couldn't help but spin around and leap just a bit. Okay, a whole lot.

I had to tell someone! I could tell Eloise, oh! And I could tell Amelie! I would call Amelie later, Eloise was the speed dial just above Amelie and just below Dan. Of course, I had to text her.

Me>Eloise: YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT JUST HAPPENED CAN YOU COME OVER ASAP?!?!

Eloise>Me: WHAT WHAT WHAT????

Me>Eloise: JUST GET OVER HERE RN

Eloise>Me: ON MY WAY

I set my phone on the table and bounced a little more. Who could blame me? I mean, the boy I like just asked me out, with sign language! Dan Howell, who had better things to do, learned sign language for me! Me!

Eloise arrived just moments later. I opened the door, allowing her to leap in. When she turned back to me, she asked, "What happened? Tell me!"

I grabbed my pad and scribbled down everything that happened. When she read it, her mouth fell open.

"Dan did that?" she looked up, "As in, Danny?"

I nodded, filled to the brim with excitement. Eloise dropped the pad and grabbed my hands, "I can't believe it, Maia, you have a date!"

I bounced for a moment as Eloise laughed. Words couldn't describe how happy I was at that moment.