Chapter 5

Dan's POV

    I wasn't always so weak. It's not even like I have a bad family or a tragic backstory. Depression doesn't always work that day. Sometimes it is just waking up one day wishing you didn't. It made me insecure and hide who I am. I want to be free like Phil. It wasn't fair.

    But I could tell from the empathetic look in his eyes that he wanted to help me. Should I risk my reputation of being the tough kid? Well, he's already seen me partially crying. Can't really dig myself out of this whole without allowing him to help me up.

He just looked at me with those big blue eyes and I averted my gaze down to my desk. In that moment I decided to scrawl my phone number onto a piece of paper and handed it to him. "I'll talk to you if you message me", I stated as I stared back out the window. Not wanting to see too desperate. From the corner of my vision, I spotted a small nod and with that Phil walked away and out of the classroom. It was the end of the day, I should get going soon too.

Phil POV

That was probably one of the weirdest encounters I've had, and I attract crazy people. I just would never before have been able to imagine Mr Tough Dude ™ crying and looking so helpless. I try to see the good in everyone and I want to help him and maybe make a friend. He knows what my secret is, and if I wasn't nice, he might be so nice at keeping it.

    The school day ended shortly and I walked my usual route home. I wasn't scheduled to perform tonight so this would be a day to get homework done and relax. Once I arrived at my house I ran upstairs and plopped down on my bed. Homework is something I like to get out of the way early so I opened my backpack but when I pulled out my physics textbook,  dan's number fell onto the floor. I sat their for a minute just staring at the scrap of paper, contemplating if this is what I wanted to do. I picked it up and sent a message.

   Hey, it's Phil. You wanted to talk?