24

I'm so sorry it's been so long

This was supposed to have been published a week ago but my computer is now saying that it is a draft???? 

Regardless, I'm going to take this opportunity to give a massive shoutout to @Elizabeth_luvazian for nominating me for the 2016 Fiction awards, I actually didn't know that was a thing until today so a huge thanks for that, I really do appreciate it! :)

*Unedited*

It was quiet for a few moments before she heard her father come back down the stairs.

"When did you say you were going again?"

The questioning tone caused Lily to frown. "What?"

"That road trip you were just telling me about," he explained, voice slightly amused— the tone itself was cause for worry, Dante Abrams could be mad, annoyed, bored but rarely was he ever amused. "Don't tell me you've forgotten about it already, you were just beginning me to let you go."

Lily didn't respond at first, she wasn't quite sure how to. He had done a complete 180 from his prior stern remarks and for a few seconds she couldn't understand what was happening. Then it all clicked

"I can give you exactly what you want; all you need to do is perform a small task in return."

She could still smell the sickly wild flowers that clung to Elvira like a second skin.

"I uh, I still have to finalise things with Alina," she finally found her voice, filling her father's expectant silence.

"Great, come find me when you've decided," and just like that, his footsteps faded away and she was alone again.

She couldn't decide whether to remain confused or be slightly happy at the fact that that was probably the longest and calmest conversation she had had with him in a long time. Perhaps that realisation was more depressing than anything. Silently she left the kitchen, not quite sure what to do with the recent turn of events. A small part of her worried that her father would snap out of it and march back down the stairs and tell her she'd be allowed to go over his dead body.

At the same time another small part of her wanted him to.

Instead of dwelling on what had just happened she called Alina over. She realised that the other girl had been quite lacking from her life since she had ran into Sal and she needed the normalcy Alina normally brought with her.

"So let me get this straight," her friend spoke slowly as the two lied on the plump comforter of Lily's bed. Lily had just finished explaining the interesting turn her life had taken in the other girl's absence and was waiting on her response. In the mean time she just soaked in the familiarity of it all. Alina's measured breathing, her melodious voice and non-sickening perfume. Lily's arm was warm from where their skin made contact as they lied next to each other.

"I don't hear from you for what might as well have been months and when you finally come back I get told that the witch responsible for 95% of your problems magicked your dad and now we're going on a road trip with some moody jerk that lives down the road?" Alina questioned, all in one breath.

"Basically..."

There were a few beats of silence before Alina just sighed.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go on a treasure hunt!"

***

It turned out that before one could partake in a road trip, one must first becomes acquainted with all roadtrippers involved. Which meant introducing Alina to Sal, an interaction Lily forgot to factor in. Typically, it wouldn't be too difficult to introduce two people in hopes that they would in the very least become acquaintances. The only problem in Lily's particular instance was that Alina didn't have a filter and Sal seemed to be overly sensitive. The two didn't seem as if they would hit it off right off the bat, though, she'd be damned if she left one of them behind.