25

Hi hello I know it's been a long time but I've only just finished a very important exam period and have found the time to write. For those of you who need it here's a recap of the relevant info: Lily returned home from Sal's house and tried to ask her dad about the road trip, only to be quite quickly shot down. Though, not to long after Elvira appears (the witch she was going on a road trip to find) and strikes her a deal: she'll give her her sight back if Lily gets her some ingredients for a spell before the blue moon. Agreeing, she rounds up Sal and Alina and agrees to take on board an eager Evanora. Now here we are. 

Unedited as always, enjoy!  

The next day Lily found herself seated within a caravan that smelt like synthetic strawberry air freshener and the Krispy Kreme donuts Lina had bought for them. The windows had been opened halfway to allow in the breeze the sound of it whipping past the window was a soothing drum like beat as it found its way inside to tousle her long waves. She stuck her hand out of the window and spread her fingers apart, letting the cool breeze weave in and out while her other hand held a half-finished original glaze. Her fourth in thirty minutes. After demolishing that half, she took to contemplating a fifth.

Apparently, Alina's mother didn't take too much convincing as long as she brought Derick— as a strong male presence Lily supposed. Immigrant mothers seemed to be insistent that women needed men around to protect them. Especially blind ones. And considering she didn't know about Sal's existence, Derick was their Designated Male™.

Not that Lily really minded.

She liked Derick. He smelt like mints and Lynx and had a booming laugh that relieved the tension from any room. It was just on principal she felt as if she needed to have some small spout of annoyance. It didn't last very long anyway.

The four of them were seated somewhere near the back of the caravan while Evanora had volunteered to drive. Sal had regarded her quite skeptically before sighing and handing over the keys. She had helped get him out of the house without drawing any attention to himself so Lily thought he felt like he owed her at least some trust. They were still alive and from what Lily could tell by the smooth travel, still on the road, so that was a plus. 

She listened to them talk about the items on the list and the upcoming trip though didn't really contribute. She was more enraptured by the feeling of freedom. Of being on the open road with her friends.

Of the way Lina's laugh bounced around the small space, so carefree and easily being swept away by the wind.

Of Derick's deep vocals causing Lily's bones to rumble.

Of the quiver of fear in Sal's voice as he handed his house over to Miles, trying to put faith in him that he'd get it back in one piece.

She was drunk in the sensations of it all. She wanted to laugh for no other reason than being so incredibly happy. Instead, she focused on the feeling of Sal next to her, a strong but shaky force. He was tense, probably in light of the new company. Derick hadn't known what to say when the two of them met, though, Lily had felt how tense Sal had been under Derick's shocked gaze. It seemed that it would take some time for him to get used to the new companions.

Without giving it second thought Lily reached out and grabbed his hand like she had once before. Touch was different for her in comparison to other people. It was more important. Touching was her way of seeing. She rubbed her thumb over the back of his palm, feeling him relax. She liked that she could do that. She always liked the way that he had seemed to trust her. He put more faith in her than other people did; he had no qualms with letting a blind girl lead him around.

"So what's first on the list?" Lina's voice caught her attention

"Rumnimary," Derick muttered "I don't know what it is but there's a little sketch of what it looks like."