30

Hold on to your hats people, this is going to be a long one. I might change some things tomorrow, but I did promise an update some time today and I just really wanted to get this chapter out so... here we are.

*Unedited, as always*

Sal wasn't quite sure how to respond to Derick's demand.

He didn't particularly enjoy detailing what he had been like before Evanora had cursed him. Mainly because he was a bit of a jerk, which wasn't exactly something to be proud of. Though, shame aside it was almost painful to recount the past, it tugged at something in his chest. A painful reminder of what he once had before it was all pulled out from under him and he became a hideous recluse. The biggest problem was that, should he be given the opportunity to go back in time and continue living how he had been without Evanora's interference, he wasn't certain that he wouldn't take it. He may have been a terrible person but he had some semblance of happiness. It made him a little sick to admit but a part of him missed the social interaction and parents who wouldn't rather pretend that he was dead.

It took him a moment to realise that everyone had their attention on him, waiting for him to say something. His brain short circuited as it scrambled for something to say. He didn't know where to start or even how to start or what he wanted to tell them—

"Do we have to do this right in the middle of a forest that could turn on us at any moment?" Lily was the one who spoke. She stood calmly next to him, arms crossed as she faced Derick's direction.

Derick blinked, as if he had actually forgotten where they were, before his lips thinned in obvious displeasure at the words. "I don't feel comfortable letting you or Alina near him when we're not quite sure what exactly he is."

Sal stiffened at that, partly because he was offended by the tone but mostly because he was right. He had the right to feel slightly threatened after seeing him turn into something vaguely animalistic. He'd be worried if Derick hadn't had any reservations.

"Derick—"

"No, Lily, I could deal with the fact that we were travelling with someone who had disappeared off of the face of the Earth only a few years back. I could even try to ignore the fact that he wears a mask all the time, like some sort of serial killer. But I did not sign up for fucking werewolves or whatever the hell that just was."

Lily went to open her mouth once more, seemingly prepared with a scathing retort, though Sal interrupted her.

"If we're done talking about me like I'm not here," he started, surprised at how nonchalant his tone was, "I'd just like to say that Derick is right."

Lily's head whipped towards him so fast he was surprised he didn't hear anything snap. "What?"

Even Derick's eyes widened slightly in shock at the words, unsure of how to respond to them.

"But, Lily also makes a fantastic point. Given the forests... capabilities, I am not too keen on staying here any longer and seeing who else it seems to want me to attack."

A silence fell over the group as everyone contemplated his words. The sense of uncertainty between them was almost palpable and Sal hated being the source of it. He hadn't been subject to such scrutiny since his parents and the realisation was hardly comforting. His gaze moved to where Lily was standing, lips pursed slightly, as if she were displeased, but with what he wasn't quite certain.

After a beat or two, Derick gave a slow nod. "I can't argue with that," he spoke, making an obvious attempt to shake off his wariness. Most likely more for Lily's benefit than Sal's. "Though, I'd like to change our... formation so that Alina and I take the rear." He shot Sal a cautious glance, lifting his hands in a surrendering kind of gesture as if expecting Sal to explode as a result of his suggestion. "Just as a precaution."