15| The Official Beginning (Work & More Work)

Start from the beginning

"Yes Ma'am."

Raymond left and she turned back to us, still in her mode as she went between the racks and back to us within a matter of seconds. How she finds so much energy so early in the morning, I will never understand. "Here's a gorgeous white top for you Ava. I get the whole church girl vibe from you."

"Gee, thanks. That would make my mother so happy."

"You are so snippy this morning, when all you have to do is say 'yes, thank you' or 'no, thank you'. Sheesh. Go and find some shoes and head to the makeup chairs."

"Here's a black skirt Le..." I shook my head and she reached past me. "Here's a black skirt, Torii. Let me go and see if I can find some slacks for you as well Leann."

"Thank you, I appreciate you." As she walked away, with clothes still in her hand, I heard her call out to Greg and Desmond, letting them know that she'd have something for them in just a few minutes.

After finally getting the perfect outfit, one that compromised with my need to feel and be comfortable and Brandy's want for us to appear cute and feminine, I headed to the makeup area with the other girls and sat down, instantly thrilled that this cute, light skinned dude was about to play in my hair. He had gorgeous green eyes and I wanted to get lost in them, just as a little pick me up for the day.

"All real and natural ladies?"

Torii yawned and shook her head. "My weave game is amazing this month; I'm all braided and sewn up. Troy's got about forty inches of real, relaxed hair for you to play in though."

"It is not that long."

"Well, how long is it then?" She looked at me and smiled.

"Different lengths, eighteen and twenty, and I have bangs."

"I couldn't do it."

The cute dude smiled at their interaction, checking my hair to see if any of it was damaged. Lord knows I don't take care of it. "Would you ever consider cutting your hair, Troy?" She whipped her chair around quickly and cut him the evilest eye, almost like she wanted to cut him just for asking that question.

"No disrespect, Sir, but scissors in your hand belong nowhere near my hair. Thanks in advance."

"Yes Ma'am, I'm sorry." He cleared his throat, smiling as he focused back on me. "Leann, I certainly love this blonde color on you, it suits you well."

I smiled, loving the way he massaged my scalp. "Thanks! Just call me Goldilocks, the caramel thug."

We fell out laughing while he turned and turned on the radio, hyping up the mood to help us relax while we were under the care of him and his partners. I had to admit, they were an amazing group of makeup artists and hairstylists. Some of whom we'd worked with yesterday.

"I want a sneak preview of y'all, I wanna see whose albums I'm going to be buying soon."

We all looked at one another and shrugged. As the song changed, and Salt -N- Pepa's Whatta Man came on, Troy and Ava easily fell in sync, singing the chorus. To my surprise, Torii jumped in on the first verse, doing an on point impression of Salt before she stopped goofing around and flowed for real, changing a few of the words to suit herself. I laughed, dancing in my seat as Troy and Ava sang the chorus again. Then, everyone looked to me, and I came in throwing my own personal flavor on Pepa's verse. Only when it was time for me to start, and I had two point five seconds to remember how to start my part did I realize that one of the stylists had turned the radio down, and we were just singing alone.