Chapter 24- Did You Just Call Me Lover Boy?

"Mai, I am so proud of you." Lauryn grins. It was probably the kazillionth time she had said that in the past 10 minutes.

"Lauryn," I hiss under my breath, "We're about to take a test. Please, shut up."

I glance warily to the front where our math teacher, Mr Kressway was handing out papers to each student, reminding us the repercussions of cheating, although it wasn't even a major test.

"I know, I know," Lauryn goes on unfazed, "But I haven't seen you properly since yesterday when you disappeared after lunch."

"It was mostly to avoid this situation right now." I mutter in response. "How was I supposed to know you'd jeopardize your grade just so you can gossip?"

"Oh, calm down, Mai. Kressie loves you, he wouldn't do that." Lauryn replied nonchalantly. Luckily for the two of us however, she manages to shut her mouth by the time Mr Kressway made his way to us.

Instead she opted for an overly enthusiastic 'thumbs up' before facing her paper.

I simply shook my head in response. You'd think she'd be more worried, considering how she failed her last math test. But then again, that's Lauryn for you.

❊ ❊ ❊

Maybe it was the creepy Joker grin she had on her face, or the way she was squealing all the way to the cafeteria but I had a feeling that the test had gone well. Either that or Lauryn was feeling hyper today.

Mr Kressway had managed to not only mark our tests during the lesson, but also give us back our final grades too. Lauryn had refused to tell me what she got until all the others were present so I had to reluctantly follow after her as she literally skipped down the hallways.

"Ethan!" She exclaimed, as soon as she spotted our friends. "Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!"

She threw her arms around his neck and wrapped him into a tight hug.

Poor Ethan looked like a mixture between surprised and about to pass out from her cutting off his circulation.

"You're ...welcome?" He breathes. Ethan looks at me for some sort of explanation as to get Lauryn was hugging him. I rolled my eyes in response, mouthing 'tutoring' to him.

"Ohh," Ethan says, extricating himself from Lauryn, "So I'm guessing it went well?"

"I got a B plus!" Lauryn squeals again. Tables from behind us give us odd looks, which I'm slowly getting accustomed to, "I mean, I was only expecting to get a C. Maybe a C plus at best."

"That's great, Laur." Ethan grins, taking Lauryn into a final hug.

I glance around to look for Connor. He's sat with his friends today but doesn't seem to be involved in their conversation. Instead, he looks distracted by the number of times his gaze wanders off.

My first assumption is that he's looking at Lauryn before I realize he's facing the other direction. He seems to be having a wordless conversation with whoever he was looking at, but didn't see to want his friends to know about it.

A small frown begins forms on my face when I am asked a question.

"Sorry, what?" I turn to Ryan just as he finishes his question.