11| Second Chances

Start from the beginning

"I just don't like how they came at me with this so suddenly. There could have been some type of warning, to allow us to prepare ourselves. Some of those men have families, large families at that. What if you were pregnant, what would we have done then?"

I shrugged. "Same thing we're going to do now. Do whatever we have to. I'm going to find a job, and that's final."

Sean was about to say something else, but he was interrupted by the ringing of our phone. Pulling away from him, I stretched across the bed to his side and picked up the receiver. "Harper residence."

"Hi, yes, I'm looking for Ava Fuentes."

"And may I ask who's calling?"

"Brandy Monroe. She recently auditioned for a position in a girl group; her city was Phoenix, Arizona and while I was not at that audition, I've recently come across her tape from that day. I'd like to speak with her if that's possible."

I sat up and moved closer to the edge of the bed. "This is she. Um, that was like three months ago, I wasn't expecting to hear anything from anyone, ever."

She chuckled, but I was being very serious with my statement. "Things happen Ms. Fuentes. It's the reason most people are told that their resumes and things of that nature will be kept on file. Luckily, yours was still here within all of the tapes that were sent to me." I was dying on the inside, glad that I had the willpower not to scream out loud. Sean just watched me in total confusion as my smile grew wider and wider. "Now, I will admit; it's quite obvious that there are some things you need to work on, but you do have a great amount of talent. There's also this vibe about you that I've picked up, I think it can mesh well as I try to rework this group. I think you could fit in quite nicely. And, should you be willing to work hard, you have tremendous potential to improve as we move along."

"I certainly thank you for your honesty, for not sugarcoating it."

"No use in sugarcoating, it hurts more when you find out the truth later on down the line. Now, I'm not certain what you are doing at the moment, but I would like to offer you a position within the group. Would you like it?"

"Yes! More than anything, Ms. Monroe."

"Alright; I will begin making plans. Would you be able to fly out to California next weekend?"

"Yes Ma'am."

She chuckled. "You're very eager, I like that. Does that eagerness spill over into your passion for singing and making it professionally?"

"Yes, and yes. Whatever you need me to do, if I am given this chance, I will do it. That is my promise."

"Very well, Ms. Fuentes. I will be in touch later this week and we'll work out the final details. Bye-bye."

I said goodbye and hung up, jumping up and down on the bed.

Sean moved back and stared at me. "What is wrong with you? Have you lost your mind?"

"Yes Baby, and for good reason!" I laughed and brushed my hair behind my ear, finally calming down as I moved closer and straddled him. "Remember the audition from January?"

"The one where you ended up crying yourself to sleep because you didn't get it, yeah? Babe, I-"

"You've always told me that anything that's meant for me will come to me when I'm meant to have it. And you were right, Sean, you were right!"

"I was?"

I nodded, hugging him. "I got a spot. I don't know what happened, and I really don't care. I just know that I got a spot and I just feel so lucky and blessed. We don't have to worry Sean, there was something in the works all along." I pulled back and looked at him, smiling wide. His reaction wasn't as big as I thought it would be if I got news like this. "Aren't you happy?"