7| Old Annoyances & First Impressions

Start from the beginning

"I'm so proud of you and how you're handling this. Alright, go and get dressed so that I can drop you off at the school. When I pick you up later, we'll go and do a little shopping."

"More things for the babies?"

She smirked, pushing herself up from the table before she gently rubbed the side of her stomach where one of the babies was punching. "Though they have more than enough, with more coming from my baby shower at work, yes. I want to look for more gender neutral things," Crystal shook her head. "You won't believe how many people just 'know' for sure that we're having two girls. I could see one, but I don't think both will be."

"They might be right though."

She shook her head and I laughed, heading back to my room so that I could change clothes.

When I walked into the detention room, after a mandatory sit-down with the assistant principal, I took a seat way in the back so that I wouldn't have to deal with anybody else. It was a packed room today, and every last one of the other detainees had piled into little cliques; talking and laughing, inquiring about what everyone had done to get a red slip.

"Kind of sad that it took us getting a weekend detention slip for me to see my girlfriend."

I cleared my throat, refusing to even look up from whatever I'd suddenly found interesting about my fingernails. "You have weekend detention, I'm only here for today. Also, you and I are no longer together, Will, and I would really appreciate it if you stopped walking around campus telling everyone that we've worked things out."

He sat beside me and I took a deep breath. "I walk around telling everyone that because I know it's just a matter of time before we do get back together. I know for certain that it's going to happen a lot sooner now that you haven't been chosen for that group foolishness. I get you all to myself."

I scoffed, pushing his hand away from me when he tried to rub my cheek. "Boy, I didn't start singing or going on auditions just to avoid you and the problems we were having. I've been singing all of my life, and whether you were in the picture or not, that was going to continue. Next thing I need for you to understand, Will-" I sat up straight, looking him directly in the eyes. "I broke up with you because you are a self-centered, egotistical, and controlling jerk. I'm about to be sixteen years old, and at no point in my life right now should I be concerning myself with all of that settling down and you belong to me, only crap you always talk about. I don't belong to anyone; and I only have one father, along with God. On top of that, you went behind my back and slept with Tiphany. You really think I'm going to take you back?"

He chuckled, but I truly don't find anything about what I'm saying to be funny. "I told you that was just a mistake. You weren't putting out. I needed some and she was offering, what did you expect me to do?"

"To be the dude you told me you were when we met. Oh, I'm faithful. I don't play games. Tuh, Nigga, you got more games than a Nintendo. And you're right, I wasn't putting out and I'm glad that you'll never be able to say you've had it. Now get out of my face."

I watched as Will stepped away from me, shaking his head. His eyes held the same exact appalled look they held when I broke up with him three weeks ago. Almost as if he were going to ask how dare I dismiss him. He's one of those guys that feels entitled and assumes that he can have anything he wants, including whatever girl he sets his sights on. I admit, being young and dumb and in love, I thought some of his ways were cute. But when the pressure to have sex began, that's when I quickly got over all of that young, kiddie love I was feeling. I might be young... impressionable to a certain extent; but at my age, I know what I'm ready for. Sex is not one of those things. I'm far too young, and far too scared of the consequences should a mishap occur. "You gotta grow out of that young mentality. Everybody's doing it and you're going to be the only one left behind, lonely and depressed."