Grandparents and Grandchildren

“Hey Dean! Where on earth are we going?” Jeremy complained as he followed his brunette friend who was walking through a complicated path. They passed a small forest then a shallow river and ended up in front of an old inn. “Eh? An inn? Hey Dean, is this the inn you were talking about?”

Dean didn’t respond and looked under an old dusty mat on the floor and found a key there. “Hm, looks like we arrived ahead of them”

“Who are them? And how did you know there was a key there?” Jeremy still shot him questions and gulped after examining the outdoor look of the scary looking inn.

Dean faced him after picking up the key. “This used to be our family inn” he informed him as Jeremy widened his eyes. “Are you serious?!” he stared at the building in front of him. ‘Good thing he used the term ‘used to be’…’ he thought.

Dean was now opening the door but had a hard time opening it and just decided to kick it open in annoyance. “Oi! What do you think you’re going?!” Jeremy scolded as Dean walked in. “wait up!”

After the both of them entered, Dean just returned the door’s original place looking as if it wasn’t broken. “You’re just going to leave it like that?!”

“We have an inn keeper, she’ll fix it”

“Ugh, whatever” Jeremy followed Dean upstairs and up to the third floor where he usually sleeps. They set their things in separate rooms and went outside afterwards after hearing a crash downstairs and voices. “What was that?”

Dean flinched and immediately walked towards the other staircase leaving creaky sounds on the old wooden floor. “Crap!” her cursed and picked up his pace with Jeremy following behind, not silently.

“Where are you going?!”

The two of them successfully escaped the second floor without being seen and stopped by the kitchen when they heard an old woman cooking. “Tanukibaba…” Dean whispered peeking thought the sliding door.

“Tanuki… who?” Jeremy tilted his head to the side.

Dean clamped his mouth, shutting him up and waited for the lady to leave the kitchen. As soon as she stepped out they made a run for it at the back garden that leads outside and into the forest. Jeremy noticed a figure of a girl opening the sliding door and just ignored it and ran off.

“Tsukiko! Tetsuya! Emiko!” the three’s grandparents greeted them and gave them a bone crushing hug as they gasped for air. They all made a sour face as soon as the two elders pulled away and laughed. “You four always made that face whenever you visit” their grandma laughed.

“That’s because you always suffocate us with your hug, grandma!” Tsukiko reasoned while pouting receiving a: karate chop from her grandpa.

“Manners Tsuko!” he reminded.

“It’s Tsukiko!” she corrected, merely annoyed of his grandpa’s memory gap.

“Manners!” he chopped her head again as she rubbed it in pain. She sighed and just understood her grandpa’s decision and followed them to the dining room where tons of food waited for them. Every time they visited for the summer, their grandmother would always cook tons of meal for them, showing how she missed her grandchildren.

“Whoa! You’re the best grandma!” Tsukiko beamed after seeing the feast-like dinner that was prepared just for her and her cousin’s arrival.

“You overworked as usual, Oba-chan” Tetsuya commented as their grandmother smiled and knelt down on the cushion in front of their table.

“Don’t worry Tetsuya, never underestimate: Chiyoko Satoshi” she stated jokingly and stifled a laugh.