Schemes (George X Reader) Original Writer: Supernova750

Original Writer: Supernova750

"Maybe you could slip him a love potion?"

You rolled your eyes as you punched your twin sister's arm lightly, "No way!" you protested, "I'm not that much of a stalker! Anyways, don't you ever read? Love potions always bring bad luck in a relationship and, anyways, it's not true love when you use a love potion. I want something real, you know?"

She just rolled her eyes back at you, "You're so sappy," she teased, "Who said there was anything wrong with a love potion?"

"Have you ever heard of anything good about a love potion?" you retorted.

"Duh, it's a love potion!" she laughed as if it were the most obvious thing in the world and you just groaned in response as you buried your face in your pillow. Sometimes having a twin wasn't the greatest thing in the world. It was also sometimes very awkward. You had more than a little crush on the legendary George Weasley and your sister knew that full well. And she was dating the one and only Fred Weasley. Everyone always said that you and George should get together- that it would be cute if the two sets of twins in Hogwarts got together. Maybe all their goading had gotten to you but even still you were too shy to say anything. How could you? It was George Weasley for Merlin's sake. He wasn't just another student at Hogwarts, he was your friend and the twin of your sister's boyfriend. You sighed heavily, a wistful, longing sound as you nuzzled your face deeper into the pillow you clutched, wanting to just block out the rest of the world and all of its complications.

You felt a hand on your back and you looked up, blinking as you gazed into the sympathetic face of your twin sister, "Hey, come on, I was just kidding, okay?" she murmured, offering a slight smile of peace, "You don't need a love potion to charm George, I know you don't. Just go talk to him. If I could get Fred, you can get George. Twin power, alright? Show me some of that Hufflepuff endurance."

You offered a small, uncertain grin and your twin returned it with even more enthusiasm as she stood up and held out her hand. You took it and she pulled you upright, taking off in a run and dragging you along behind her. "Wait- where are we going?" you protested as you struggled to keep up with her swift pace.

"To plan!" she replied with a laugh as she dragged you towards the library, "After all, I am a Ravenclaw, planning is what I do best!"

Despite your uncertainty, you decided to trust your twin. Maybe, just maybe, she would be able to come up with something that could help you.

X X X X X

"I'm not sure about this [t/n]," you mumbled under your breath, struggling against the urge to dig your heels into the ground to resist as she pushed you forwards.

"You'll be fine [f/n]!" she assured, "Merlin's Beard, you act as if I was locking you in a room with a Hungarian Horntail instead of just a ginger-haired Weasley!"

"That's almost as bad!" you protested, stomach dancing with nervous butterflies.

"Now you're just being dramatic," your twin grumbled, moving to stand in front of you with hands on her hips, "Come on [f/n], calm down. It's just George! He's your friend! The worst he'll do is let you down easy! You know as well as I do that he wouldn't do anything to hurt you and, if he did, Fred would probably slap him silly for Merlin's sake! I hate seeing you so mopey all the time [f/n], you've got to stand up straight and get out there or you'll never get anything done! I know you're shy and nervous but, even if he rejects you, it's not the end of the world, okay?"

"Since when did you get so high and mighty?" you grumbled, looking away as you ears burned bright red.

"Since always. It's a blessing and a curse," she replied, grinning widely as she flashed a wink.

You rolled your eyes, muttering under your breath, "Shut up."

"Never have, never will," she grinned, shoving you forwards, "Now go get him. Go Hufflepuff!"

"Go Hufflepuff," you added half-heartedly, fighting the anxiety the knotted your insides as you continued forwards, wringing your fingers nervously.

The 'Plan' was as simple as it could get. Just get George and you alone. Your sister and Fred would be taking care of that easily enough. The hard part was working up the courage to speak. Your twin had made you run through multitudes of calming exercises and confidence-boosting tests but none of them helped. You were still you- shy, anxious, and clumsy.

Just as they had promised when you entered the hallway, George was waiting, looking around curiously. He glanced up and grinned when he saw you, "Oh, hey [f/n]. What's up?"

You smiled slightly as you sidled over, doing your best to appear unperturbed by your proximity to him as you replied, "Not much. And you?"

He shrugged, "Pretty much the same. By the way, have you seen Fred? I've been looking to tell him about this new prank I've been planning."

You shrugged, mirroring his action, "No, haven't seen him," you fibbed.

George nodded, a frown momentarily creasing his forehead before he grinned again widely, "Maybe you could help me then. What do you say, are you up for a prank [f/n]?"

You smiled, "Sure, sounds great."

George's grin widened as he eagerly explained his plan to you. You would work together as a team to mess around with Filch and Mrs. Norris, as per usual, by painting unwashable mustaches and glasses over all of the paintings. That would make Filch as mad as a Chinese Fireball according to George and you didn't find something like that hard to believe.

"You ready?" George asked with a grin as he grasped your hand, sending butterflies dancing through your stomach as you nodded and he took off, dragging you along behind him.

X X X X X

You could barely contain your giggles as you watched Filch's enraged blubbering from around the corner, his eyes bulging with fury as he beheld the fruits of your and George's efforts. Of course, the paintings themselves were furious with you both since you had so graffitied their visages but you were sure they'd get over it eventually.

"They should be grateful, maybe it'll draw them some extra attention now," George chortled into his hand.

You smiled, "Maybe that'll implore them not to tell Filch it was us," you giggled as you both snuck away from the scene. So much for plans and schemes. You didn't need them to just have a good time with George. He was your friend and that was enough for now. There was no need to press the issue of love or anything like that just yet, you both had tons of time for that.

You were wrenched from your thoughts as your heard George speak in a softer, more serious tone, "[f/n], can I ask you something?"

You nodded slowly, leaning back against the wall and looking at him curiously. "Go ahead."

The Weasley twin regarded you quietly for a moment as if searching for the right words before finally beginning in a somber voice, "You know what Harry says, about You-Know-Who being back, right?" You nodded and he continued, "If he is, you know what could happen, right?"

You nodded silently. You knew exactly what would happen. War, death, pain, struggle, and utter, pure terror. That was what Voldemort would reap. No one would be safe.

George's eyes mirrored your same thoughts as he stepped forwards, placing a warm hand on your cheek, "I don't want to see him hurt you. I won't let him kill you. I know you're my friend and, because of that, I want to tell you this before any of that has a chance to happen, a chance you could be taken away from me." He bit his lip and you could feel your heart pounding in your chest as you looked up at him with wide eyes. Moments passed and then he leaned forwards, pressing his lips against yours in a gentle but passionate kiss. He pulled away after several seconds, eyes searching yours, "I really, really do care about you [f/n]. Maybe even love you. I swear, I'll always protect you from... from Voldemort. I'd die before letting him hurt you." He gave a small, mirthless laugh, "Merlin's beard, I'd probably face him myself without a wand if you wanted me to."
You just gazed at him for a moment in shock, a thousand emotions making your heart swell as you whispered, "And I'd do the same for you." Words seemed to tug at your tongue, coming out almost unbidden as you added softly, "I love you George Weasley."