Silence (Fred X Reader) Original Writer: emyxbunnie

Original Writer: emyxbunnie on DeviantArt

Silence.
You were a background figure, someone who faded into scenery like paint on a canvas. Your being was two-dimensional and flat, while others preferred a more three-dimensional lifestyle.
Like him.
He was like a sculpture, something fine and magnificent and worth appreciating. He was the kind of art that made people stop and stare; made them want more. One look at him would leave you staring. He inflicted motions upon you that no one else could. He was like a breath of fresh air after years of being trapped inside. He was like the warm caress of sunlight after an eternity of night. Everything about him was refreshing and beautiful and art.
As for you, you were the wall behind the sculpture. You were ignored, except for the rare person that would come and lean against you. Eventually, as all things do, they would leave, most likely to go stare at the sculpture. The only emotion that you seemed to inflict on others was annoyance at your bothersome presence. Or, at least, that's what you thought.
You had been watching him for as long as you'd known him. The first time you had seen him was on your first day at Hogwarts. You had been boarding the train, struggling as you lifted your trunk up onto the platform. To your left, you had heard quite the commotion and had turned around to see two red-haired boys come hurdling towards you. Your eyes had widened and you had only just managed to move away in time as they pushed past you.
Before continuing down the train, one of them turned around and yelled out a quick "Sorry!" as they ran away. A girl had stood behind you, tsking at them as she helped you carry your luggage into an empty compartment. She had told you that their names were Fred and George Weasley, the highly renowned Hogwarts pranksters.
You had seen them later as you had walked up to be sorted (they had been in the year ahead of you.) The last thing you had seen before the Sorting Hat drooped over your eyes was their flaming red hair. Much to your surprise, you had been sorted into Gryffindor. You had honestly believed it to be a mistake, and had even asked the tight-faced witch-of whom you later learned was named Professor McGonagall-if you could try to be sorted again. She had shaken her head disapprovingly and pushed you over to the Gryffindor table, where everyone stood applauding you, including the ginger twins.
One of them had pulled you down into the seat next to them, looking at you eagerly.
"You're the girl from the train!" they had exclaimed, as if this fact had made you legendary.
"Sorry we bumped into you before," the other one said.
"We were running from a few Slytherins."
"Apparently they don't particularly fancy fireworks being set off in their compartment."
You were growing slightly dizzy as you looked back and forth between the two, trying to keep up with their quick-paced speech. The way that they finished each other's sentences left you flustered, but also fascinated. You began to wish that you yourself had a twin.
"Anyway," the one two seats away from you said.
"Welcome to Gryffindor," the twin next to you said.
"'Where the brave at heart dwell.'"
"I'm Fred, that's George." The twin next to you pointed proudly between himself and his brother.
"Across from you is our brother, Percy," said George, pointing to a boy who sat a few seats away. He had the same flaming red hair as the twins, but he was older and his face was a bit more pinched. He looked over at the sound of his name, his eyes squinting suspiciously at the sight of his brothers.
"He's a bit dull."
"Very dull."
The twins turned to grin and wave at their brother, who turned away, shaking his head. You nodded uncomfortably, shy and unsure of what to say.
"Also, the lad over there is our other brother, Charlie," George continued, waving his hand at yet another red-haired boy, who had a small crowd of people around him. He seemed nice enough; not at all as strained as Percy.
"Charlie's Quidditch Captain. He's in his seventh year."
"Mum's proud of him. You should have seen the look on her face when she found out. We also have Bill-"
"He already graduated."
"He was Head Boy."
"-and we have two younger siblings, Ron and Ginny."
"Ron'll be here next year. Ginny, the year after. But, anyway. We never asked you." Fred turned back to you, folding his hands under his chin. George followed suit, and you were awestruck by how in-sync they were.
"How terribly rude of us."
"So. What's your name?" they asked at the same time.
After stuttering out your name, they grinned and said a quick, "Nice to meet you, (Y/N)," before turning to the meal that had appeared before you. All throughout dinner, they made quick conversation with you, though they also turned to converse with a few others every now and then.
"You know, (Y/N)," George said as the plates disappeared. He and Fred started to get up, and you followed suit, stumbling a bit to catch up with them, as they were already walking away.
"You don't talk very much," Fred completed, looking down at you. They were both quite tall, despite them both being only a year older than you, and you had to crane my neck to look at them. The three of you walked together, following after the prefects as they escorted you to the Gryffindor common room, George to your left and Fred to your right.
"Reckon she's the silent but deadly type. She did get sorted into Gryffindor after all," George said with a sly grin.
"I bet we better watch after her. She'll probably blow up the dorms some night while everyone's asleep."
"Fred, that's actually not a half-bad idea..."
The three of you had walked to the common room together, and for the first time in a while, you found myself feeling like you truly belonged somewhere. You found yourself smiling as they discussed whether blowing up the dorms would lead to them being expelled. They had greeted you with the kind of friendliness and eagerness that you hadn't met anywhere else. You found yourself drawn to them, wanting to become closer.
As the years went by, the pull you felt towards them had grown stronger and stronger. Though you had made a few acquaintances and friends throughout the years, Fred and George were the only people you truly felt comfortable around. You were by no means best friends-that term was left just for your fantasies and dreams. But, they did say a quick "hello" to you in the hallways, and once in a while the three of you would have conversations just like the one during your first year. You found yourself start to develop even stronger feelings for one of them in particular, Fred, who was probably the most outgoing and the most out of your reach. Out of the two twins, he seemed to reach out to you more, though that was probably just in his nature. Either way, you couldn't help but slowly start to fall for him.
That brought you to where you were that night, lounging on one of the sofas, your nose stuck in a book. You were in your fifth year, they in their sixth. You had remained withdrawn and silent throughout the years, observing Fred from afar, as you were doing at that particular moment. Every now and then you would glance up at the twins, who were surrounded by a group of people as they partook in a game of Exploding Snap. For the most part, the most you could make out of them was a dash of bright hair or the corner of a sweater, due to the fact that the crowd was so dense. You were too afraid to join them-you preferred to be on the outskirts.
Nighttime began to sweep across the common room, leaving shadows and silence every where it touched. Moonlight filtered in through one of the windows, leaving a milky trail across the ground. The crowd around the twins had thinned down gradually, until it was just the twins, you, and their friend, Lee Jordan, left in the common room. You were pretending to be completely immersed in your book, though you were secretly listening for a soft chuckle or hurried whisper from the other side of the room. Your eyes were becoming heavy, now that the excitement from earlier was gone. You had no idea what time it was, but you didn't want to leave in the hopes that you would get a chance to talk to Fred at some point.
Your eyes were closed now, your book slacking in your hand before falling to the ground with a soft thud. Your head fell to the side, awkwardly resting above your shoulder as your mouth gaped open. Darkness overtook your vision as sleep began to caress your mind, leaving you oblivious to the world around you.
Across the room, the twins and their friend had jumped slightly at the sound of your book hitting the ground. At once, the three of them turned to look at you, grinning at your disheveled state. Shaking his head, Fred yawned, stretching his arms over his head. His brother followed suit, leaning back in his seat. He nudged Fred's arm slightly and they nodded at each other and the three of them started to pack up their belongings. Throwing their bags over their shoulders, the three of them began to walk to the boys' dormitories, Fred trailing behind.
As they passed you, Fred stepped to the side, picking up your book. He nudged your arm lightly, trying not to startle you. He was unsuccessful though, and you jumped into the air, stumbling out of your sleep-induced state. You blinked up at him for a moment, confused, wondering what the man of your dreams was doing before you. After a moment, realization hit you, and a blush started to work up on your cheeks.
"Look alive there, (Y/N)," Fred said with a smirk. He placed the book down softly next to you, tapping your shoulder lightly as he walked past. Your cheeks were ablaze and redder than the fire beside you, though Fred couldn't see you with his back turned. Their muffled footsteps echoed away and you hurriedly dropped your book in your bag, your mind still groggy from sleep.
"Go to bed, (Y/N)!" Fred called out from the stairwell. "Staying up late every night won't do you any good."
Blushing even more, you zipped up your bag and stood up. A smile slowly worked its way onto the corner of your mouth, and you stood there in the light of the fire for a few moments. But, as the innocence of sleep left your mind and cool reality took its place, your smile faltered. Slowly, it disappeared and turned into the blank mask you always wore.
What would Fred Weasley want with you? You were only silence.