4| Audition Day (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"What if you just go in there, do your best, and leave the rest to the man upstairs. If it's meant to be, it'll be. But I want you to calm your nerves before you go in there and mess yourself up."

I sighed, sitting back as I folded my arms. Two girls' names were called before I finally heard mine. Nervously, I stood and grabbed the numbered tag I'd been given from Sean. Walking to my destination, Room 5, I walked in and quietly closed the door behind me. There, waiting, were two judges. One looked as if she lived to crush dreams, while the other just looked as if he was tired and ready to go.

"Ava Fuentes?" I nodded. "It's been a long day, so we've been cutting the formalities. You know why we're here, we know why you're here. We want your absolute best. What will you be singing for us?"

That was the lady who looked as if she crushed dreams. I took a deep breath and spoke clearly. "Heart Of Stone by Taylor Dayne."

"Keep it short, please. We're pressed for time."

I nodded and she motioned for me to begin when I was ready. I picked up the microphone from the table where they were sitting and took a couple step back towards the wall. Getting the beat in my head, hoping I remembered it correctly, I lightly tapped my side with my free hand as I moved a little bit, trying to get into a positive space as I thought about how I would shorten the song.

Lifting the mic, I began, zoning completely out. The only thing I could do was pray that I didn't run out of breath in between words. "We need to lay in each other's arms, there's nowhere else to go. It's all so easy and I want you to know... there'll never be another one who could get this close to me. Everything you give to me is everything I dreamed of." I closed my eyes, scared to see what type of reaction their faces held.

I opened my eyes, choosing to move around the little space that I had. "You try to make like I'm not there to show me how you feel. You don't have to hurt me with the hurt that you won't reveal. There'll never be another one that can get this close to you. I can give you everything that you ever dreamed of. Even when you turn your back now, I can feel you reaching for me. Even when you walk away, I still know where your heart will be. I can't believe you've got a heart of stone. I seen your tears fall when you thought you were alone. I can't believe you've got a heart of stone. The more you try to hide your love, the more it shows. I can't believe you've got a heart of stone. I can't believe it."

After doing an adlib or two, they both held their hands up, asking me to stop while they began writing on the papers they had sitting in front of them. "Very interesting. That's actually one of my favorite songs, and while I don't believe there's anyone that can sing a Taylor song as well as she does, that was very decent. Extremely decent for a teenager with a small range. Thank you for auditioning and we'll be in touch with you on Monday."

I took a deep breath, and nodded. While I'll take his words as being mostly positive, I've got this strong feeling that I won't be chosen. Walking back into the waiting area, Sean held his arms open and asked how it'd gone. "Alright, I guess. I'll find out Monday, but now that it's over, let's not talk about it, okay?"

He looked at me. "Why are you upset? Baby, I know you went in there and knocked 'em out."

"I don't think I wowed them enough, but seriously, let's not talk about it. I don't even want to think about it until I get that call Monday." He nodded and I looped my arms through his after grabbing my bag that I'd left beside him. "Let's go and handle the other situation now."

"And you're sure about that?"

I nodded. "As sure as I'll ever be."