Here the Shadows Lie 19-20

Chapter 19*

Verona

Alexa's POV

" Close your eyes," Damian whispered into my ear, sending electric waves down my spine.

To tell you the truth, my eyes were already shut to begin with. I never opened them when I transported, ever, and I didn't plan on it. It was a little too scary for my taste.

"They're already shut Damian."

He chuckled,"Good, now don't open them till I tell you so, ok?"

I whined," I'm not three, you know."

He ruffled my hair," Compared to me you are. Now quit your whining."

I pouted, that was one thing I couldn't stand. Not knowing, or suddenly being surprised wasn't exactly my fortey.

His cold hand instantly wrapped it's way into mine, melting the icy chill between our bodies. I winced though, because my hand was still swollen from last night, but I didn't show it.

I was still debating if I could trust him, but yet a huge part of me felt like I could give him my life for keepings. I didn't understand why was I suddenly a changed, extroverted person in a matter of days. It was remarkable how me, the quiet, perfect child ended up being a daring, stubborn girl without a warning. Was this my true personality coming into play that I had locked up for so many years? Only time would tell, but I had to admit I liked the new me better.

My arm was still being dragged by Damian until we finally came to a hault.

"Alright, you can open them now," he breathed in my ear, making my whole body numb.

I peeked out my right eye, the immediately open both and went wide eyed.

"Whoa..." my jaw dropped instantly.

"Welcome to Verona," he said waving his hand to the beautiful scenery.

There was only one other time I heard of Verona, and that was freshman year when we read about Romeo and Juliet. I always remembered adoring the book, and reading ahead of the class, just so the teacher wouldn't bore me with her lame explanations. I was always so intrigued in Romeo's dire love to Juliet, how it was love at first sight, and how they yearned for each other so much that by being separated they thought of suicide.

Was love really like that?

Or was Shakespeare insane?

Who knew, but I for one didn't believe in true love at all. It was a total myth that wouldn't happen to a girl like me anyways. Besides, it was irrational.

I was still gazing at beautiful Verona, the vibrant colors, the small shops scattered through the whole town, and just the city itself was amazing.

"You like it?" he asked a bit anxiously, staring directly at me for once.

"Like it?" I gave him a bewildered look as his body grew uneasy which made me chuckle,"

no, I love it Damian. I've always wanted to get out of New York City."

A sign of relief washed over his face, making him smile widely. I swooned a little bit, but stood myself up straight for my own sake. I leaned against the bridge that we were standing on that was right above the seemingly bluish water, it was unreal that I was actually standing in Verona.

"You want to go get the coffee now? There's a small café nearby," he asked while coming

close to me, and where I was leaning.