.:t w e n t y s i x:.

••• Halsey began to cry.

So much had happened. So much she couldn't handle, it was unbearable just to see it all happen in front of me.

Her eyes sulked watching nurses and doctors walk down the white lit hallways - as if they were used to seeing patients sob their hearts out everyday.

"God, I'm so stupid." She whined.

I took in a scattered breath and wrapped my arms around her purple matted hair, "You're smarter than anyone I know."

She shuttered and uttered a muffled sigh, "Now's not the time to lie for me to feel better."

"I'm not," I whispered, "Trust me. I'll be with you through everything."

For a brief moment I'd thought she would start crying again, watching her crouch over once more. Yet - she didn't.

Looking back up at me, I saw her smile for the first time I had in weeks. A genuine smile.

I hugged her tighter, listening to the sounds of monitors in the back while phones rang in the office.

Just me and Halsey - like old times.

* * * *

"You're WHAT?" Melanie shouted nearly spilling the entire cup of milk over her tray of cookies, "I can't beLIEVE IT!!"

"Shush, keep it down!" Halsey whispered harsh, "My parents are asleep!"

"Can I throw youR BABY SHOWER?" Melanie whispered just a bit quieter than she did before.

"Mel, it's four in the morning, get a hold of yourself." I chuckled.

We all went back to stuffing our faces as Melanie blushed.

I couldn't help but mention, "ugh. Guys I'm worried."

They turned their heads and eyed me empathetically with their mouths full of sweets.

Resisting another scoop of vanilla ice cream I sighed, "Tyler's sort of upset. I guess he's trying to forgive me after the party, but I forgot about another date. If I miss this meeting I-"

Halsey cut me off after clearing her throat of Melanie's cookies, "Harley. Don't worry about it. He's a nice guy. He loves you. Whatever happens happens."

Melanie smiled along with her and took a pause after Halsey to finish, "Everything turns out for a reason. I wouldn't worry about it. If it's meant to be, it'll end up how it should."

I beamed at the both of them and they grinned in response.

"Thanks guys." I giggled.

* * * *

"So," I sighed out of breath, "what'd you think?"

I eyed my mother and her tired posture in the dining room chair across from me.

She looked up from the ground struggling to keep her eyes open, "Tyler," she sighed, "I love it. I've loved it ever since the first time you showed me. Forty presentations ago."

I rolled my eyes in response.

"Look baby, it's late." She croakily whispered.

I rearranged the flash cards held in hand and slumped into the chair beside her.

"I know," I said shakily, "I just want to be ready for whatever. I can't screw this up."

My mother whimpered, "Okay then."