Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Troye. I just need to pick up some flowers," I said.

"Sure, what for?" He said as he wiped his eyes quickly.

"Mum's in the hospital. You okay?" I asked, looking at Phil, then walking over to him.

"Yeah, yeah. My boyfriend and I just kind of split up last night, but it's cool, here," He said and handed me a bouquet of light pink and white roses.

"Thank you," I said.

Phil cleared his throat.

"Oh, this is my boyfriend, Phil. Phil, this is Troye," I said.

"Nice to meet you," Phil said.

"Same to you," Troye said sheepishly.

We were just about to leave when an idea sparked in my head. 

"Hey, Troye. I know this guy. We met at a boarding school I was looking into. His name is Tyler. He's really cool. Maybe send him a message?" I said.

Troye pondered the thought for a moment.

"I guess a few texts can't hurt. Do you have his number?"

I gave him Tyler's number and we headed out. We drove to the hospital and I got an uneasy feeling in my stomach.

"Something wrong, Mate?" P.J. said.

"Yeah, you look like shit," Chris said.

"CHRIS," P.J. said.

"Are you alright, Bear?" Phil asked.

"Last time I was here, I had gotten beaten up by some drunks," I said, looking at my hands.

"Hey, but it's over now. You don't have to be scared anymore," Phil said and gave my hand a squeeze.

We arrived at the hospital and I walked up to the receptionist. 

"Hi, I'm here to see my mother," I said.

"Last name?" She said in a flat, robotic voice.

"Howell," I said.

"Room 219. Second floor," She said.

I thanked her and we all went into the elevator.

"Hey, do you think this place will give me free food if I steal one of their crutches and limp around a little bi-"

"CHRIS," We all said in unison.

"Okay, okay, it was just a thought," He said.

The elevator opened and we found her room. We opened the door slowly.

"Hey, Dan," She said weakly.

"Hey, Mum," I said and gave her the flowers.

"These are beautiful. Thank you," She said.

"How are you feeling, Mrs. Howell?" Phil asked.

"I'm doing much better. A bit sore, but the medicine is helping quite a bit," She said, tilting her head towards her night stand adorned with an array of pill bottles.

"I'm sorry we didn't get there sooner, Mum," I said, wiping away a tear.

"Dan, you got me out of there. You saved my life, Sweetie, you and your friends," She said, looking towards the other three with a look of gratitude. 

They all nodded to her and she smiled.

"Could some of you go hunt down a nurse for me? I think it's time for my evening medication and I don't think I have anymore in the bottle," She said.

"Sure," I said. 

P.J., Chris, and I left the room in search of a nurse.

*Phil's P.O.V.*

"Phil?" Mrs. Howell asked.

"Yes?" I asked, sitting down in the chair next to the bed.

"You're good for Dan," She said.

"He's good for me," I said.

"I've never seen Dan this happy- ever. It's all thanks to you. Thank you for making him happy. I don't know where he'd be if it weren't for you," She said.

"He's the love of my life, Mrs. Howell," I said.

"I can see the feeling is mutual," She said.

"He's going to be my husband one day," I said, smiling softly to myself.

"I'm just letting you know now, that you have my blessing and permission. I'm not saying to get married now, but just know that you're part of our family already and always will be," She said.

"Thank you so much. He's my family. We're our own kind of family," I said.

"You two are so good together. I'm sure so many people would be jealous of your relationship. It's so hard to find someone that truly loves you and will love you forever. Trust me, I've learned that the hard way," She said.

"His birthday is coming up, right?" I asked.

"Next month, yeah," She said, "Why?"

"I want to get him something," I said.

"What?" She asked, a smile on her face.

"It's going to be a surprise, but I think he'll get quite a bit of use out of it," I said.

"I can't wait to find out what it is, but I'm sure he'll love it," She said. 

"Mum, we're back. We found the nurse," Dan said, coming to stand by me. 

I wrapped my arm around his waist and pulled him to me. 

"Thank you, Dears. Thank you for visiting me. Now, go do something fun for me, please. I'll be okay here," She said.

"Okay. Bye, Mum, love you," Dan said.

We left and went back to the flat. Chris and P.J. went home.

"Dan?" I asked.

"Yeah?" He asked, turning towards me while he made dinner.

"Did you really mean that I'll be your husband someday?" I asked.

"Of course, Phil. I love you more than anything," He said.

"Just checking. I love you too, babe," I said, hugging him and kissing his forehead.

"Thank you for all you do," Dan said.

"Thank you for loving me,"

"My pleasure,"

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

HEY OKAY, I don't really like this chapter, if I'm honest. I just wanted to update. I've got a few more chapters planned for this, but it should be ending soon. Thanks for all of your support! Check out my new story, Keep On Strummin'. ILY! xx