15

Micky had been skipping school a lot since Mike came home, but he knew he was treading in dangerous waters. If he skipped many more days, his chance at graduating would be jeopardized (if it wasn't already). So he finally went, which meant leaving Mike alone for the day.

Mike didn't do much. Rebecca tried talking to him, but he never answered to her. She wasn't very surprised though—it was a rare occurrence when Micky could get him to open up.

She was quite curious about that nasty scar on his arm, though. Neither one of them would tell her what it was from and she had a feeling Micky knew.

The day was silent. Almost peaceful, even. Mike wouldn't talk to his mother, but he stayed in the living room with her. She appreciated that.

And then Micky came home in tears.

Mike and Rebecca both heard the front door open and slam shut with a bang. Micky ran to Mike's room and Mike got up to follow him. Rebecca was close to stopping him, but she changed her mind.

"Go on, son," she said. "Micky needs you."

Mike went into his room. Micky was curled into a ball on the bed, crying his eyes out.

"Fuck it," he muttered. "Fuck it all."

Mike sat down next to Micky, who glanced at him. Seeing Mike only seemed to make Micky cry harder.

"They think you're faking it, Mike," Micky whispered. "The kids at sc-school. They say you faked being kidnapped to have an affair."