Never Again

Walking back hand in hand Tina was surprised when she felt Daryl swiftly let go of hers and edge away from her as they came into sight of them pacing ahead Daryl called out "found a barn up ahead, can stay there the night before we find this Alexandria" "show us the way" Rick agreed walking towards him with Judith. Tina watched as Daryl walked past her with Rick without a backward glance. What the hell was that about? He just said everything she needed to head but was it true or was it in the hear of the moment? Feeling confused and upset she hung back walking behind Maggie and Glenn.

Tired and hungry everyone sort of slumped to the floor of the barn, the hungry cries of Judith being the only sounds filling the barn. Daryl went out alone to hunt, leaving quick enough that Tina had no chance to talk to him, he was shutting himself away again she could tell.

--

Daryl didn't have much luck hunting, but no one shared their disappointment they didn't need to it was practically written on their faces as well as Daryl's.

Abraham and Rick set up a small fire in the barn for warmth which the group gathered around becoming dazed in the flickers of the flames. Maggie, Sasha and Beth fell aslee as the evening wore on, with the rain outside it was pretty hard for the others to, Tina included. She noticed Daryl sitting alone and saw this as her opportunity to speak to him. "How dare you brush me off like that! What the hell have I done to deserve this? That was the last time Daryl you ever use me" Tina yell whispered poking him in the chest making her point. He wouldnt even look at her "why did you say all those things to me? That you love me? Was it just to get my knickers off?" She seethed "we have more important things going on in our lives right now than this" he said coldly fiddling with his laces "again you wont even answer me will you?" Tina shook her head at Daryl's actions. He sat there awkward, twitching with nerves, stabbing his knife into the ground and pulling it back out, it was easier to do that than answer her "like I said Daryl. Never again!" She snapped standing up "Tina wait," Daryl whispered as she dusted herself off, he looked so boy like when he was talking about his feelings, something he had never done before until the world ended, "I...do" he began speaking but the barn door opening and shutting caught his eye, walking over to it to close it, with a flash of thunder he noticed a dozen or more walkers descending onto them. He hastily pushed against the door to hold them out motioning Tina over in the process "keep holding" he muttered as he used all his strength to push the door shut, Maggie awoke jumping up to help followed by Tara, Rick, Abraham and the rest. It took a lot of strength and might to keep the barn door closed away from walkers, the rain outside making the ground inside soggy that their feet kept slipping but eventually the herd passed.

"We are heading out to Alexandria." Rick announced the next morning "if we stick to the tracks we should be there lunchtime, keep our wits about us though, we dont know these people but they are offering a sanctuary, could be a new start for all of us" he added as Tina and the others listened intently.

--

The sounds of children playing and laughter rang through the groups ears making them stop in their tracks, laughter? Was this place really safe enough to live and not just survive?

When the gates creaked open there were greeted by a few rather skeptical residents and it was soon revealed why.

"We usually scout people before letting them in" one remarked closing the cold steel gate behind them.

"Come this way, Deanna will want to speak to you all" another said ushering them towards a large town house.

Tina felt nervous, so nervous she could do with some reassurance from Daryl, she trusted his instincts and needed his guidance right now, sure Rick was their leader as such but Daryl always made her feel at ease but he was just up in front with Rick and Carol.