Chapter 19- The Visits

Braith's POV

I decided to start with my brother. Though I did mildly despise him, I couldn't exactly leave him unchecked. I say 'mildly', but you could just as well leave that part out. He was cocky and arrogant, a total asshole.

'And you're not?' a voice in my head said.

"Shut up," I murmured to myself.

I knocked on the door loudly, wanting to keep the visit short and uneventful. Damien answered straight away.

"Hello brother," he sneered. "What brings Your Royal Majesty to my humble abode?"

I rolled my eyes, all notions of a quick and emotionless exchange immediately forgotten. "I simply wanted to check upon you. You are my brother after all."

I pushed by him and entered the room, sitting myself down on his bed. He raised his eyebrows, giving me a look that suggested his internal monologue was something like, 'It's lovely that you feel so at home in my room. Sarcasm absolutely intended.'

I didn't comment on his expression, instead opting for a more friendly approach. "I hope you'll forgive me for not coming to see you sooner. I've been a little... Busy."

"Busy killing off our parents, you mean?" he smirked.

I gritted my teeth. "That was an accident."

He snorted, but didn't comment.

"How is your new slave, by the way? Fanny, was it?" he asked.

I knew it was a trick, but I wouldn't fall for it. All I had to do was play along.

"I don't know. Last time I saw her was... Eh, no idea. Probably during the feast or something. Why do you ask?" I responded flippantly, pretending to be confused and surprised about his question.

He narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "Oh, no reason."

It was my turn to raise my eyebrows now. I knew I needed to distract him from the subject, at least temporarily. And, as always, I had a plan.

"Really? You do seem very interested in her. Are you sure you're not a little... Infatuated?" I teased.

He looked at me angrily, but I could see a faint blush on his cheeks.

"Of course not!" he snapped. "You're being ridiculous!"

"Am I really?"

He didn't respond.

"I'm going to go visit Chloe now," I stated, standing up and leaving the room.

I closed the door behind me and walked to Chloe's room. I knocked, and a few seconds later she answered.

"Braith!" she cried out, throwing herself into my arms. "Oh, I missed you so much!"

I chuckled, smiling. "Hey, hey, Chloe, take it easy on me. I'm just a mortal man!"

Tears were streaming down her cheeks, but they were tears of joy.

"Haha, you're so funny," she snurvled. "Vampire jokes."

"Now, let's get you cleaned up."

I put her down on her bed, and then walked to the bathroom, where I grabbed a few pieces of paper. Coming back, I began wiping off her face. When I was done, I threw the paper away and gave her a big hug.

"Please don't ever leave me like that again," she whispered.

There were so many more things I wanted to do and say. Most of all I wanted to explain what happened to our parents. But I knew that would have to wait. I needed to visit Imogen.

I told this to Chloe, and she nodded understandingly.

"Go," she said softly. "She needs you too."

I smiled gratefully, giving her a light brotherly kiss on the forehead.

I left her room swiftly, the air cold against my skin which had gotten used to Chloe's warm embrace. I quickly warmed up again, as despite the time of year, it was almost 25 °C (77 °F) inside the castle. We had very good heaters.

Knocking on Imogen's door, I ran my fingers through my hair quickly. Then I simply waited. Only a few seconds later, she opened the door.

"Imogen!" I cried out.

"Braith!" she exclaimed. "Oh, you're back to normal again!"

I smiled at her, so happy I thought my heart would burst. She smiled back, blue eyes shining with joy.

"What a beautiful dress you're wearing," I remarked.

She twirled in a circle for me.

"You really like it? Wow, thanks!"

The dress was a light shell-pink, lined with pearls. It exposed both shoulders, but still had long sleeves that ended on a point. Silver vine designs covered the bodice, and it flowed down loosely, pooling slightly on the floor. It truly made her look like a proper little princess.

I told her so, and she lit up like a firework. She pulled me into her room by the wrist and pushed me onto her four-poster bed. She grabbed a book from her bookshelf and lay down next to me, pushing the book into my hands. I smiled at the title; 'Cinderella' had always been her favourite.

"Read to me," she demanded.

"Of course, my princess," I responded, and she giggled. "Once upon a time..."

Felicia's POV

"Are you okay?" Maddie asked me as we were doing the dishes.

I laughed. "What's wrong Mads? I feel fine!"

She crinkled her brow. "Yeah, that's kind of it. You've been acting really strange lately. So... Happy."

"What's wrong with being happy? Can't I have some happiness in my life? I'm just making the best of the situation! What did you expect?!?" I snapped.

She flinched. "Yeah, that... And the mood swings."

"Mood swings?!? What mood swings?!?"

Maddie sighed and closed her eyes for a second before opening them again.

"Just tell me," she said quietly. "Just tell me what's wrong. You can trust me."

And in that very moment, I knew her words to be true.

"I'm scared," I admitted. "I just found out that there are lots of different worlds that inhabit lots of different, supernatural creatures, and that I'm now trapped in one. I just... I..."

I couldn't seem to put my feelings into words. Maddie was understanding, putting her arm around my shoulders comfortingly and wiping away tears I hadn't known were there.

And I truly realised why friends are important.