10: Dangerously Close

Start from the beginning

"So, what are we doing today?" I ask excitedly.

"We could focus on manipulating and controlling water to your will." Deaton suggests. I nod eagerly.

"Alright then. Let me go get a glass of water." Deaton says as he leaves the room. I walk over to the metal bench and fidget with the ends of my shirt while I wait for the veterinarian to come back. A few moments later, Deaton enters the room again with a large glass of water in his hand. He places the glass down on the middle of the bench. I stare at it, watching the water splashing about. I blink twice before I look up at Deaton again. "Okay, so, what first?" I ask, raising my eyebrows slightly. "It's very similar to telekinesis, but it may come slightly easier to you because water is your domain anyway. The process is basically the same as telekinesis. Raise your arm and to guide the water to where you want it to go. You also need to picture the water moving in your mind. With enough practice, you will be able to move way more than a glass of water. You would be able to create huge waves, even tidal waves. However, I strongly suggest you don't try a tidal wave. That would just be disastrous." Deaton informs me. I nod to show my understanding.

I take a step back from the metal bench. I raise my arm out in front of me. I concentrate on the water. I picture it moving where I want it to move in my mind. Slowly, the water starts to rise up from the glass and into the air. I grin triumphantly. "Don't lose focus." Deaton says.

"Yeah, I know." I reply as I twitch my hand slightly, making the bubble of water float around the room. With another twitch of my hand, the water moulds into the shape of a wolf. It looks pretty decent to me. I glance over at Deaton for approval. He smiles and nods in my direction. I turn back to the water wolf. I slowly move my arm to the side and watch as the little water wolf bound through the air, following my directions. "Yeah, I think I have got the hang of this." I smile as I turn to look at Deaton. Suddenly, a bell sounds from the waiting area. Someone must have entered the animal clinic.  I put my arm back down at my side in a panic, losing all control of the water. Unfortunately at this particular moment, it is floating above my head, so when I stop controlling it, the water falls onto my head. I gasp in shock as the cold water runs down me. I blink the droplets of water out of my eyes. I turn to Deaton, looking at him desperately for help. All he does is stare back at me with the amount of shock and horror that I'm feeling. About two seconds later, my legs disappear and my tail takes their place. I immediately fall onto my stomach. The ground is cold against my now bare chest. I groan as I roll onto my back and look up at Deaton. "You need to get rid of whoever is here!" I whisper urgently. Deaton nods and hurries out of the room. I quickly pull my right arm close to my chest, concentrating hard. Barely a moment later, my whole body turns invisible. The only problem now is if someone walks in and steps on me, but I'm sure Deaton won't let it come to that. Suddenly, the door opens and two people step inside. It's Scott and Deaton. I stay as silent as I possibly can and try to keep my heart rate down. Hopefully Scott will pass my heartbeat off as one of the animals in the room next door. If he is even listening out for something. "Uh, so what can I do for you?" Deaton asks, facing Scott. My best friend raises his eyebrows. "I was coming for my three hour night shift? Like I do every Wednesday night?" Scott answers with a questioning, but suspicious tone.

"Oh, right. Well, I'm afraid that can't happen tonight. I'm sorry, but there are a few things I need to take care of." Deaton answers. "I can help you." Scott pipes up. At this point, I'm holding my breath. One slightly wrong move and it will be all over. I keep my right hand close to my chest, focusing on staying invisible. "No, it's alright Scott. I need to do this on my own." Deaton turns Scott down, smiling apologetically. Suddenly, Scott looks around the room and sees the puddle of water. He walks forward. "What happened here?" He frowns.