The Secret Diary.

Start from the beginning

The wizards invited to join the game were, not surprisingly, Lucius Malfoy, who seemed to make it his mission to try and make a fool of Harry and make him go bust early. Unfortunately for everyone but Harry, his little escapade allowed Harry to take the position as chip leader early one, a fact that the Goblins were sure to remember, especially if the glares sent in his direction by the Goblins dealer were anything to go by. The other two wizards, aside from himself, were Robert Cook, the owner of the Daily Prophet and Jeremy Taylor, CEO of the Nimbus Racing Broom Company.

Now, the only people remaining in the game were Harry, Ripgore, Bronzespear and Jeremy, the rest having lost already. The dealer collected the large pile of chips and moved them over towards Bronzespear.

"It seems you are getting a little overconfident Lord Potter, perhaps being up so late past your bedtime has hindered whatever thought processes your puny mind could conjure up, hmm?" he jabbed with a false politeness, earning several chuckles from the inhabitants of the room.

Harry merely ignored him, frowning as he lost that hand. It was clear to all that he suspected he was going to win, and who wouldn't with a hand like his with the river the way it was?

"Just deal the cards" he said darkly, locking his hands together in front of his mouth and hunching over his chips which were, for the first time that night, smaller then the two Goblins' piles.

Bronzespear looked pleased with himself and Ripgore didn't look too upset either, no doubt they'd be praised no matter who won as long as it was one of them. Jeremy was sweating bullets, he didn't have all that much left and this next hand would probably be his last, especially since he was up to pay big blinds.

A hush overcame the room as everyone was dealt two cards. Harry plucked the corner of them up slightly, giving no outwards expression of whether he was pleased or not with his hand – a fact which annoyed his opponents to no end – while the other three players did the same. Bronzespear's grin turned savage after looking at his cards as Harry raised his eyebrow in amusement.

Everybody called and the dealer laid down the flop in the middle of the table, the cards being an ace of diamonds, a jack of diamonds and a jack of spades respectively.

Bronzespear opened the betting high as everyone checked, forcing everyone to call if they wanted to remain in the game. When it was Harry's turn to call, he hesitated, ever so slightly, and Bronzespear immediately picked up on it.

"Finally realizing what it is you're playing with Potter?" he jeered "there's no more useless Malfoy lords playing to give you their money, perhaps you should just fold? Actually, disregard that, it would be in my best interests if you bet as much as possible..."

Harry almost laughed when he saw Malfoy's expression darken, the losers were drinking cocktails while watching until the end of the game which didn't seem to far off. Bronzespear on the other hand must not think much of him, using petty intimidation tactics during a game. Harry figured he could have one of two goals, goad him into betting more, or scare him off because he has nothing.

"Call" Harry called casually, throwing in the appropriate chips required as the dealer dealt the next card, a King of hearts. Once again, Bronzespear bet high, almost forcing Jeremy to go all in, while Harry and Ripgore called. The pot was one of the largest of the night and drew the attention of all the spectators.

The dealer dealt the last card, revealing a seven of diamonds. Harry let out a quiet disappointed sigh.

"Ah, and all has come tumbling down then Lord Potter?" Bronzespear asked with faux sympathy "hoping for the queen were you?" he asked with a grin before pushing all of his chips in to the middle of the table, eliciting gasps from all watching.