Birthdays (Pt. 2)

I'm changing this to be an au where Bucky returns home after the war. This was a request by @BuckysWinterGirl hope you enjoy! I didn't know what pic. But this ones really cool.

Kenneth held your hand patiently waiting for his father to return home. You looked over the heads of soldiers from the spot you and Bucky had written each other to wait at. Only you couldn't see him exit.

He had been writing up until last week when you received the news that he was heading home early. You were ecstatic, he only said it was because of a minor injury sustained in combat. Even Steve was coming home with him.

The  train station was clearing out before you saw Steve leave the car. Kenneth had ran after him faster than you had even registered who you were seeing.

"(Y/n)..." He practically whispered as he scooped Kenny into his arms, "come with me." You obeyed him and let him rest his free arm protectively over your shoulder towards one of the cars.

You stepped in, confusion quite evident, until you saw him. You then noticed the absence of his arm. To the best of his ability he held his arm out for you, to which you ran into him. Enveloping you into his body that smelled like an attempt to wash away blood and dirt.

You cried into the sloppy shirt that still had his blood on it. The others dressed their best with unicorns, but he seemed to be unable to care about his appearance. You later found it was a struggle for him to even make it home in his medical state.

Doctors spoke to the both of you, only you didn't look up at him or evened Bucky.

"We're working on finding a prosthetic that would suit your husbands needs. It's the least we could do for the man who practically won the war for us."

You didn't say another word. Instead Kenneth reached for his father who smiled sadly knowing he'd not really be able to hold his son the same way anymore.

You loosened your body from him and helped Ken rest on his shoulder.

"Hi buddy... How are you? You're so big!"

"What happened to your arm?" He bluntly states.

"Oh. That's a story I'll tell you at home, alright sport?"

Kenny nodded his head and buried it deeper into his neck, "Doll, we should get going..."

The doctor grabbed his bag. And walked with you, "sir can I help you?" You aggressively stated.

"We're you listening to me?" You took a moment to think, "I'll be coming with you for very regular visits. Like I said a prosthetic will take potentially a month to get."

*A year and some later*

"He said a month, James! You're literally living without an arm! Kenny is still waiting for you to teach him how to throw a ball! I'm trying to cope with this but I just can't!" You shouted smashing the plate you were holding on the floor on accident.

"Don't- don't do this to yourself. I'm sorry about the arm. I really am. But do you think this is a blissful time for me either? I fell off a train and now I'm home without an arm. But Kenny will learn how to play ball and you're the strongest woman I know, as hard as you must think this is. In the end you'll come out mother and wife of the year, and I love you for that."

You broke down onto the floor and sobbed. Bucky stood and quickly made his way over the broken glass placing his body over yours in an attempt to comfort you.

"I'm sorry... I just can't really do this right now, I'm tired. I'm waiting for this," you motion towards your stomach, "and watching our son grow up so fast without us being there to fully support him because we're so worked up in your arm and this baby and I can't handle it right now."

You felt Bucky sigh as he pushed you slightly to sit against his knee, "you don't need to apologize for anything. This is a tough time, I get it. But I love you and Kenny and our baby. We'll get through this." You nodded wiping away your tears.

"I'm sorry... It's probably hormones, right?"

"Whatever you think, doll" he laughed kissing your forehead, "Kenny? Would you please come in here for dinner?" His tiny toddler legs carried him into the dining room.

"Yes, daddy?"

"Can you please grab your plate and take it to the table?" He nodded and both you and Bucky stood. His one arm resting on the side of your wait. (Did anyone notice Seb's hand on my waist in my pic?! It's like a dream and I didn't even realize he had put it so low!!)

"Let's have dinner and I'll see if I can get us tickets to the picture show tomorrow?"

"Su-" a knock at the door averts your attention.

"I got it," Bucky leaves you both and after 10 or so minutes you decide to check on him and whoever was at the door.

"Oh- (y/n), this is Dr. Zola, he says he may be able to come up with a innovative prosthetic."

"How long would it take?"

"Oh only about a week. In fact we already have the arm, it would just be connecting it to him digitally."his accent strong.

"Digitally?"

"Yes it will begin extend to his brain."

"Has that ever been done before?"

"Well, this would be the first."

"Doll, I think I want to do this. It's what we've been waiting for. An opportunity."

"Are you sure? I guess it's up to you..."

"Thank you," he murmurs placing his lips on your Cheek.