Loved Ones and Scalpels (SEB)

You grab the chart next to your hand, "Wow, kid jumped off his roof and screamed, 'I'm Iron Man!' " you laugh at the remark. The intern next to you looks at you with curiosity.

"If you don't mind me asking, I saw you leaving work yesterday with a man."

"He's my husband, yes." 

"Would he maybe- I don't know- know Iron man... in a movie?"

You laugh, "Yeah, I'm married to Sebastian Stan. You must have missed that."

"Sorry Dr. Stan... I was just confirming my suspicions." Over her voices you hear the shouts of ER nurses and patients. "Doctor? We have a mass casualty in the ER, we're gonna need you available."

"What happened?" You shot up, setting down your chart on the desk.

"Pile-up on the freeway." She stopped you from entering the ER, "You're needed in the O.R. Doctor, not the ER."

"I need to assess my patients before i get them up there. Now move." She scurries off to help a resident. You're eyes scan the room as your eyes fall on one particular face, Chris Evans. Your immediate reaction is to go to him first, but then a wave a fear hit you, Sebastian was out at lunch with Chris. He picked him up right after you got off the phone with him. You started searching, but to no prevail.

"Doctor! We need you now! You couldn't even think straight as the Intern pushed you towards the elevator to the operating room.

***

You sit down on the creaking on-call bed. Chris still hadn't woken from his surgery. Granted, although you had been waiting for 30 minutes, the other doctor had only finished with him less than 3 minutes ago. Sebastian still hadn't checked in to the hospital and the police had been looking for him since the crash. You sat by Chris' bed and clicked your pen on the chart waiting for him to wake. Another intern stepped into the room, "Sorry to disturb you Dr. Stan, but I think they may have found your husband. I wasn't supposed to tell you, but you looked so heartbroken."

You were up and out of that room faster than you could say thank you, literally. Your sneakers squeaked against the tiled floors and down the stairs. Doctors had cleared out since the rush of patients died down, and now only a few were left and all taking care of Sebastian.

"Get her out of here!" The trauma doctor shouted causing you to flinch, "Who brought her down here. No family." 

"No one. I was just doing my reports." You obviously lie as you run towards the bed. You grip the rails on it as another doctor inserts a chest tube. 

"Let's get him up to surgery." You went to follow but an arm held you back. You start to cry and yank your arm away. You rush up to the ICU and straight into Chris' room who was now watching a news show. 

"(Y/N)..." Chris breathed, obviously relieved, "How's Seb?- Wait? Are you crying?" He looks now confused.

"They only just found him in the wreck," you sob, "he's in surgery now" He sighs and looks back up at you. His eyes screaming with remorse.

"Come sit down... You must be tired." You walk over and sit on the doctor's chair, "He's going to be okay, you know that right?" you nod, not really in the mood to respond, although it felt nice to have a familiar face to confide in. 

"Thank you, Chris, He'll be out anytime... from what I could make out- I think he has a collapsed lung minor injuries of his limbs and possible internal bleeding. There may have been some talk of a head injury-" you choke on your words. A nurse walks in and smiles at you and Chris. 

"They need you down in the O.R., you're the only cardio surgeon available.."

"There's no more patients and I can't work on Seb- Oh God! Sorry Chris I have to go!" You flew out of the room faster than even before. You scrubbed in as fast as you could and the head surgeon looked at you. The urgency in his expression pushed you to act even faster. He looked so peaceful, like when he sleeps, but you knew that this wasn't any night you spent with him. It was a life or death situation of your only love. You nodded and reached across to the scrub nurse, "Scalpel."

Part 2 up next!