Part Six: Just A Little Too Late

Start from the beginning

"Hey," I looked up from my phone at James, my cousin, "I heard youi were upset." He held his hand ouit and patted his palm, telling me to give him my phone.

I sighed and gave it to him, "Just don't--"

"Look thru your messages, I knowthe drill." He recited from memory, I nodded.

"And nothing's wrong just tired I guess."

"That's what you use to say, look where that led to." I glared at him.

"I put myself in taht position and I obviously got out of it--I'm fine." He put his hands up in defeat.

I sighed and shook my head, thinking about what I'd just said. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped at you like that."

He was one of those few people in my life that had stayed; one of those few family members who were more understanding.

"Its alright; so, how are you? How was yoiur week?"

After everything that had happened, he never failed to ask me how I was doing. I felt as if I didn't have to bring it up--as if knowing about my day wasn't a burdern--like they wanted to actually know.

"My week was alright, yoiu know the usual: wake up, deal with school, come home."

"Anything else?" I shook my head. "My dad was telling us that your dad said something about a music project?"

"Yeah, its pretty cool, we get to make our own origional song with a partner and stuff." I shrugged my shoulders as if it were no big deal.

"Who's your partner?"

When I said I hadn't told anyone about Austin, James had been an exception. He didn't know the whole thing, but he knew enough to make his assumptions.

"Austin." I shrugged.

"Mahone?"

"Yeah," I shrugged again, "Its alright, not much talking but whatever."

"And did you choose this partner, or were they assigned?"

"They were assigned. Its whatever James, its the past and I have to let it go."

If only I took my own advice-- I was alright giving advice, but terrible at following it.

"If you say so, I think you should follow your own advice." I sighed and nodded. "Here's your phone," He took it out of his pocket and examined it, "It keeps vibrating and stuff."

"Its probably Twitter." I muttered.

"Twitter and you just now got a message from Austin." He slid something on the screen and showed it to me: he wanted me to unlock it. "Hey, are you mad? Can we work today?" He quoted from the text.

"What I tell you about reading my messages?"

"You told me not to do it, and I do it anyways, what's the point in even telling me." He handed me back the phone. "Why would you get mad at him?" I gave him a look, "besides whatever you got going on."

"Well, besides everything else, I'm guessing he thinks I'm mad because we argued about our project and I walked off."

"Is that it? An argument about a project?"

Now that I thought about it, it was a stupid reasons. We were about to graduate high school, and we got mad at each other for something dumb.

"Yeah, it was stupid now that I think about it." I admitted, I took out my phone and sent him a quick text.

No, I'm not mad, and yes I can work on the project.

"Do you mind driving me home? I have no ride back?" I asked James.