Chapter Thirty-Seven: Uncertain Futures

Selene

It was the best news I could have received—carrying Alexander’s child. Of course, Alexander and I had waited a few days to tell Amenemhet and Yocheved to confirm the pregnancy with the seeds and when the seeds grew, Alexander and I rushed to Amen’s house and we celebrated.

That was seven months ago.

The pregnancy was obvious on my body now, my stomach large. My back hurt often, but if that was the price I had to pay for pregnancy, then I’d willingly pay it. I was so grateful to the gods—all of them, mine, Alexander’s, and Yocheved’s mysterious One.  Alexander and I were floating in bliss, to say the least. Alexander. He hadn’t changed a day since I had first met him. Time hadn’t yet laid a finger on him.

“Selene, let me get that,” Alexander said when I came home with a big jug of water. He rushed to my side and gently took the jug from my hands. He set it on the kitchen table and came back to me. “Sit down,” he laughed. “I don’t think it’s healthy for a woman with child to be doing so much work.”

“Thank you, Alexander, but I’ll be fine. You know me,” I grinned. I sat down anyways and he came over. He pulled out a chair and sat with me.

“You’re so beautiful, Selene,” he said quietly, smiling. “If you bear a daughter, I hope she looks like you.”

I placed my hand on my stomach and he placed his over mine. Alexander felt as though I was the most beautiful woman in Egypt, when in all reality I felt like a fat ox. I didn’t mind this feeling if it meant I was carrying a child, of course. I would be forever grateful to the gods.

“Alexander, you are amazing,” I whispered.

Something made Alexander look guilty. “A letter came for you, from Cleopatra,” he said.

I raised my eyebrows. “The news of my pregnancy hasn’t reached the palace?” I laughed. Many people in town knew, and since I was Cleopatra’s favorite dancer, I thought she would have known.

Alexander shrugged. “I suppose not.”

“What’s the letter say?”

“Cleopatra wants you to dance, of course. The Romans came last night, and Cleopatra, being a gracious hostess, wanted to welcome them before they got into more war.”

I frowned. I knew all about the war between Rome and Mark Antony. Despite it, I wanted to live harmoniously with my newborn, hopefully in liberty. I didn’t want war, and if worse came to worse, I didn’t want to be enslaved. Not by the Romans. What would become of Alexander then? Would he be killed as a traitor? What about our child?

“I’ll have to tell her I’m pregnant,” I laughed, joking.

“Oh, you won’t have to tell her,” Alexander winked.

“I guess then we should get going, then,” I said, implying that he should come with me. He smiled.

“I wouldn’t leave you alone to wander the streets of Alexandria,” he smirked. I laughed.

“Let’s go.”

We left our house holding hands, and I could feel my baby kicking inside. I paused.

“Is everything alright?” Alexander asked. I grinned and nodded.

“He’s going to be a runner,” I joked.

We kept walking, on our way to the palace. Today, many people were out and about. I loved when my city was out and thriving, even with the threat of war somewhat hanging over our heads. I hoped my baby would be born into a world that lived and loved.