Chapter Three: Guests and Dancing

Selene

As the day went by, my anxiety and anticipation started rising. I had fixed my hair up and the clothes that I was going to wear tonight were placed in a basket. I would change in the palace, like I always did. I made sure Nofre-Ari was away from the basket when I closed it and placed a pin on the clasp to make sure nothing fell out. After cleaning myself, I put on a clean tunic. I lined my eyes with kohl and painted my lips red, the only makeup I wore for dancing. Really, the most makeup I wore at all.

“Sosigenes,” I called, walking into the main hall.

“Yes, Selene?”

“I’m going to step out of the house for a little bit. I’m going to see Amenemhet.”

“Alright, be safe. Be back in time, please,” he said, looking up at me.

“Of course, Sosigenes.” I bowed my head a little and headed out the front door.

The sky was beginning to darken, Ra heading down to the Duat to battle Apophis. I was careful as I walked down the dirt road to Amenemhet’s house, who didn’t live far away from me.

“Meow,” I heard down next to me. I sighed and looked down.

“Nofre-Ari, what are you doing here?” I asked, picking her up. I still walked towards Amenemhet’s.

“Meowwww,” she yawned. Her dark gray coat looked even darker but her eyes stood out. Her golden collar, inlaid with lapis lazuli, was digging into my arm and I set her down.

“Follow me,” I commanded and she obeyed. After a few more steps, I arrived at Amenemhet’s house and I walked through the doorway.

“Hello?” I called.

“We’re back here,” an older voice called. I walked through the house until I got to a warm room full of writing on the walls. Two figures sat on the ground with papyrus sheets in front of them and fresh reeds inked. There was a short, stout man and a skinnier, taller one.

“Good evening, Amenei and Amenemhet,” I greeted the two of them. Amenei was Amenemhet’s master, the scribe. He looked a lot like Bes, the god who protects children.

“Good evening, Selene,” the scribe greeted me. Then he looked at Amenemhet. “I’ll let you go early today.” He winked at me and I laughed.

“Thank you, Amenei.”

The two men stood up, Amenei much shorter than both me and Amenemhet.

“We weren’t doing much anyways. Just some extra practice. You look lovely, Selene.”

“Thank you,” I bowed my head slightly.

“I will see you later, Amenei. Thank you for the lesson.”

“It was no problem. You are a great student. Now if you will excuse me, I must go and help my wife with dinner. Good day.” Amenei left Amenemhet and I alone.

“Let’s go to the garden,” Amenemhet suggested, and I followed him through the house to the garden. It was smaller than ours, with only fish and no ibises like the garden Sosigenes and I had, but it was quiet and had great privacy. I sat down and Amenemhet sat down next to me.

“So did you see Iseret?” I asked teasingly. Nofre-Ari jumped up on my lap and I stroked her. Amenemhet sighed.

“No. Well, actually, I saw her, but she was with some other man. They were making eyes at each other. Hathor has blessed her with love. I saw it in her smile and him in his eyes.” I looked at Amenemhet.