Chapter Thirty: Life and Death

Alexander

“Alexander, Cleopatra, I’m going to Rome for a few weeks,” Antony announced.

“You are?” I asked. Antony looked at his baby girl—Cleopatra Selene—in his arms. She was looking up at him thoughtfully. Cleopatra was holding her baby boy. He was making little babbling noises and she was cooing at him. Both babies had Antony’s blue eyes but Cleopatra’s nose and mouth. It was nice to see the little resemblances. I was no longer angry at Antony, of course, and we were getting along fine, especially after I told him I proposed to Selene. He was even more proud.

“Yes, I have to go back for a little while. I can’t be part of the triumvirate if I’m here in Egypt. Plus, I need to make amends with Octavian.”

“I’ve never liked him,” Cleopatra stated.

“When are you leaving?” I asked.

“Tomorrow.”

Cleopatra and I both exchanged looks of surprise.

“So soon?” she asked, a worried expression on her face.

“Love, I have to,” he said. “but I’ll be back as soon as possible. I promise.”

“Thanks for the forewarning,” she muttered. “But if it’s what you must do, then I’m okay with it.”

“Alexander, are you coming back with me?” he asked.

“No.” I was not going back to Rome.

Antony sighed. “Are you ever going to return?”

“I’ll send my letter of resignation home with you. You can sell my house. I am not going back,” I said. I was resolute.

“There’s no bending your will, is there?” Antony asked lamely. I shook my head. “Well then get started on your letter.”

I sat in private guest quarters in Cleopatra’s palace at a mahogany desk. It was evening. In front of me was my letter of resignation to Octavian, which I had worded carefully and meticulously. I hoped he wouldn’t hate me. I tried to put my good-bye in the kindest way possible, but I knew he would end up hating me.

Dear Octavian,

I choose to resign from my position in the Roman government. I have decided I have no future there anymore. I’ve found a home in Egypt and a woman who loves me, and I her.

As a friend, I apologize for not being able to resign in person, but I can’t go back. I can’t be away from here anymore. I hope you rise to become the greatest leader Rome has ever seen, next to Julius Caesar (may he rest in peace), and may your reign be long and prosperous.

My friend, good-bye.

Sincerely,

Alexander Helios

The words almost wrote themselves. I was so sure of my decision to stay here. And it was true; there was no future for me in Rome. I wasn’t going to ask Selene to leave her home and her gods for me. I had spent more time in Egypt than she ever had in Rome, and I wasn’t about to throw her into culture shock.

I got up from the desk and went to go find Antony. This was actually a harder decision for me than I thought, but I knew what I was doing was the right thing. I had to follow my heart.

I walked down the hall and found a young servant.

“Excuse me,” I said. She stopped, looked at me, and bowed her head.