chapter 16

Kurt took Rachel out with Mercedes to a karaoke bar. She had expressed her desire to sing off her newfound heartache, so Kurt invited Mercedes to a girls' night out at the karaoke bar across Rachel's apartment building.

"Ok, Kurt, what do you think of this outfit?" Rachel asks as she comes out of her room and displays her outfit.

Kurt's eyes bulge and tears start streaming down. "This is probably a rare moment for you right now. Never have I seen an outfit on you that shows off your skin and darling, you look hot," Kurt complements.

Rachel blushes. "You think so? I-is too much for a karaoke bar?" she asks, a little unsure about her outfit. Kurt had taken her shopping to get rid of the old Rachel and rain in a new and improved Rachel. Of course, Rachel wanted to keep some her outfits, so she wouldn't feel "lost" in her new life.

Kurt sighs in frustration. "Rachel, you look ravishing, any man would be lucky to take you home tonight," he replies.

Rachel gasps, taking home a man is not her intention. "I don't want any man, Kurt. I want-"

"Before you say his name, I'm doing this for you. You will not think about him tonight," Kurt cuts her off.

Rachel sighs and grabs her coat. "Let's go before I change my mind."

When they head into the bar, Rachel is a little hesitant to take off her coat. Her outfit shows a lot more skin than she's used to. She didn't really care to invest in such tawdry outfits, Finn never complained about her animal sweaters and knee highs, in fact he loved her just the way she is. Kurt notices her hesitating taking off her coat.

"Rachel, take off your coat, it's a little warm in here don't you think?" Kurt asks.

Rachel looks at him, pleading for him not to force to take off her coat. "I'll take it off when I feel I'm ready to, Kurt," she answers indignantly.

Kurt raises his hand in surrender. "Fine, fine, I won't force you anymore," he replies.

Rachel smiles smugly and places a gentle hand on his arm. "Thank you, Kurt. Is Mercedes here, yet?" she asks.

Kurt checks his phone and finds a text message from Mercedes. "She says she'll be here in a couple of minutes."

Before Rachel could reply, one of the bartenders walks onto the karaoke stage and takes out the microphone from the machine. "All right, people, we'll be starting our karaoke session now. So who wants to be the first victim?" the bartender lifts up the mic.

Kurt nudges Rachel to volunteer. Rachel shakes her head. Kurt smacks his tongue. "Rachel Berry, you are never one to refuse to be first to sing, now do what you love and sing your heart out," Kurt whispers to her.

Rachel sighs, takes off her coat, and pulls out a cardigan sweater from her purse. She walks towards the stage. "I'd like to sing, please," she says in a confident voice.

The bartender looks down at Rachel. "Ok looks like we have our first volunteer," Rachel gets up on the stage, "So what's your name?"

"I'm Rachel Berry," Rachel answers.

"Ok give it up for Rachel Berry," the bartender says to the crowd before handing the microphone to Rachel.

Rachel smiles at crowd before picking a personal favorite of hers. She waits for the song to start.

Oh dear, what can I say?
I'm high here, up and spinning away
From a kiss of a thrill to be filled
Can someone hear me?

Love, what do you say?
Your mystery winds me up to be playful
Oh, here goes my curious sinner within
Is someone listening? I hope no one is listening