chapter 15: A House is a Home

Puck and Quinn come down the stairs, holding hands, and big goofy smiles plastered on their faces. They are going to be one of the happiest couples at the wedding. Rachel spots them from her spot in the living room, hits Finn, and gestures to their best friends. Finn turns around to see Puck and Quinn helping a confused Kurt and Mercedes with the party trays.

"Why are they so happy?" Finn asks as he takes plates from Rachel.

"Quinn's pregnant, hun," Rachel answers.

Finn drops his trash bag, receving a giggle from Rachel. "What? S-she is?" he asks.

Rachel picks up the trash bag and nods before heading to the kitchen. Meanwhile, Finn sits down on the couch, thinking about his sophomore year of high school when he thought Quinn was pregnant with his child, but in reality was Puck's. He still hasn't gotten over how gullible he was to believe her story, he wishes to go back in time and slap some sense into this sixteen year old self.

"Finn, I'm ready," Rachel's voice brings him out of his thoughts.

"Huh?" Finn asks.

Rachel folds her arms over her chest and shakes her head. "You always get engrossed into your thoughts don't you, Finn?"

Finn chuckles and gets off the couch, he slinks his arm around his fiancé's waist. They say goodbye to their friends and Rachel's dads before heading back to the apartment. When Finn and Rachel arrive in the apartment, Rachel plops herself on the couch and when Finn sits next to her, she rests her head on his chest. He puts an arm around her and pulls her closer; he turns on the television.

During the program they are watching, Finn peeks down to his soon-to-be-bride and a question pops into his head.

"Rach?" he calls.

Rachel looks up from his chest. "Yes, darling?" she asks.

Finn chuckles. "Um well, there's something that I need to tell you and ask you," he starts.

Rachel sits up, crosses her legs, and faces him. "Whatever it may be, just tell me or ask me," she replies.

Finn nods and faces her. "Well, I asked Kurt to design our house for us."

"Our house? I thought we would be cohabitating in my apartment; our apartment that we shared."

Finn takes a deep breath. "Well, as much as I love that apartment, it's not big enough for us. Rach, I want to start a family with you and that apartment is not big enough for a baby or babies."

Rachel ponders over what he just said. "I wasn't informed of your recent investment. When did you decide to go behind my back and purchase a house without my consent?" she was starting to get angry. What kind of soon-to-be-husband buys a house without consulting his soon-to-be-wife?

Finn sighs. "If you just see the house, Rach, you'll love it." Rachel sighs as Finn leads her to his bedroom. Rachel sits on the bed, while Finn goes on his laptop and uploads the house's file. He had been looking at the house since the day after he and Rachel visited his mom and Burt.

"See Rach," he turns to her in his desk chair. Rachel gets up and looks at the computer screen from behind Finn.

"It's beautiful, Finn, how'd you get the money to afford this? It's awfully big complete with a standard backyard and an indoor patio," Rachel says as Finn clicks to different photos of the house.

Finn turns his head to Rachel. "I know it's a bit much, but we can afford it, Rach. My mom, Burt, and your dads helped with buying the house and they're willing to help us with the bills and the mortgage. I'm sure we can afford it, I did this for you," Finn answers.

Rachel turns her head to Finn, they're foreheads barely touching each other. "It's a four bedroom house, Finn. It's too much," she replies going back to the bed.

Fin groans and turns around in his desk chair. "Rach, our friends can visit us, help us with the kids. It'll be perfect. I mean we can find jobs to pay for all the expenses before having kids. After all, you said you wanted to have kids when you're twenty-five."

Rachel sighs. "I'm twenty-three, Finn and obviously you forgot that I wasn't going to have sex until I was twenty-five and that 's been broken since I was seventeen. "

Finn rolls the chair to her and takes her tiny hands into his. "Ok, I admit remembering that part isn't my favorite, but that doesn't matter now does it? Look, Kurt volunteered to help design the house. He said with my taste and your taste that house would be a travesty."

Rachel giggles. "He still hasn't forgotten about your cowboy wallpaper has he?"

Finn smiles, happy that she's close to agreeing with him. "Yeah, I don't he'll ever let me live it down. So are you ok with the house?"

Rachel sighs. "You're not going to let this go are you?" Finn shakes his head, Rachel giggles. "Ok, fine, the house is beautiful and the prospect of raising a family with you in that house is warming up to me."

Finn chuckles and envelopes Rachel in a bone crushing, yet loving hug, he loves that she can them-both of them-raising their kids. He can imagine waking up to the smell of a vegan breakfast waiting for him and their kids.

When Finn let's her go, he presses his lips to hers, letting her know he can't wait for their wedding. "Rach, you are going to be a wonderful mother," he says after they pull apart.

Rachel smiles. "You're going to be a wonderful father," she replies.

Finn chuckles, gets off the chair, and sits beside Rachel. She turns to look at him. "So, when we do have kids, would you want a boy or a girl first?" he asks.

Rachel smiles and thinks about it, she realizes she doesn't have to because since they got engaged, she knows exactly what she wants. "I want twins," she answers.

Finn's eyes widen. Twins? He asks himself. "Twins, Rach, twins? Isn't that twice the work of a regular baby?" he asks, making sure she thought this through.

Rachel nods. "I'm content with my answer, hon, I want twins. Yes they are twice the work of a regular baby, but we work well together. Can you imagine it, Finn? When one cries, one of us has to wake up and check on it, when both cry, we both have to wake up. So, we'll both be deprived of sleep for a year," Rachel explains.

Finn laughs. "Rach, honey, you know I need my sleep."

Rachel shakes her head. "So do I, Finn."

"Twins are hard, Rach, whose going to help us when we both start working?"

Rachel shrugs. "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

Finn sighs. "There's no use of arguing with you is there?"

Rachel giggles. "Nope, you're relentless, I'm relentless. I couldn't sway your decision about the house and you can't sway my decision to have twins. Tonight we both win."

Finn nods. "Well, we have one more week til our wedding, you ready to be Mrs. Rachel Berry Hudson?"

"Are you ready to be Rachel Berry's husband?"

Finn smiles and nods. "Hell yeah."