chapter 8

Rachel woke up the next day feeling a little incomplete and with a bitch of a headache. She had woken up way too many times the night before that Jessie had to sleep in the guest room. Rachel felt bad for not being honest with him about what she's going through, but if he knew that she was close to sleeping with Finn he'd have a fit. Of course it would only be fair to have a real conversation with her fiancé. They hadn't spent much time with each other since they have arrived in Lima. Jessie was always with his friends and when he came home she was too tired to even have a real conversation with him. Even though Rachel hasn't done anything in the past week but stay home and wallow in her never ending thoughts about Finn, she was always so tired from too much thinking. Since when did Finn Hudson over crowd her mind? Oh! since she was fifteen, he's been the apple of her eye. So Rachel lay in bed, sleep finally taking over. The last thing she sees before closing her eyes is Finn in a tuxedo showing her his lopsided grin.

Finn woke up with a mess of a room. He didn't remember leaving his room like this when he left yesterday. Then he touches his head and winces. "What the hell happened last night?" he asks himself. His lamp was on the floor, the picture of him and Rachel at the Statue of Liberty is on the floor in disarray, and Rachel's scrapbook is still on the ground. He checks beside him making sure no sleeping stranger is laying next to him. He breathes a sigh of relief as the space he feels is empty. All Finn can remember is that after dinner he had left the apartment and had gone to a bar to drink away his sorrows. Just then Puck walks in with a glass of water and coffee. He hands them to a still confused Finn.

Finn takes them and settles them on his nightstand, turns around to his best friend. "What happened last night?" he asks.

Puck sits on Finn's desk chair and sighs. "You were a drunken fool, you even tried to make a move on Quinn," he answers.

Finn's eyes raise in shock at what he did. "Oh man, I'm sorry about that. I would never do that to you, you know that right?"

Puck nods. "I know that and Quinn knows that but you were a jackass at the bar, dude. You got into a fight because you hit on some guy's chick and the owner had to call me and Quinn to get you. You're lucky you didn't have a one night stand, because imagine getting the girl knocked up and then you will never get Rachel back."

Finn rolls his eyes. "Thanks for your story, Puck," he says in a sarcastic tone.

Puck laughs, takes the coffee from the nightstand, and hands it to Finn. "You need to drink this, that hangover will not get any better."

Finn takes it and drinks, feeling a little better. "Did I at least say things I shouldn't have said?"

Puck chuckles at the memory of Finn singing "All I Have to Give" by the Backstreet Boys when he and Quinn came to get him. Finn sitting at the bar with a beer mug in his hand singing the lyrics out loud and out of tune. "Um well you were singing pretty loudly and out of tune."

Finn sighs and hits his palm against his head, making the hangover worse. He groans while Puck laughs at him. "Oh man, why was I so stupid last night?"

Puck shrugs. "I don't know when I get depressed I drink. Of course I can't anymore, Quinn will kill me."

"Yeah, Rachel would kill me too. And thanks for helping me, dude, I really appreciate it."

"It's ok, you've helped me too when I was a drunken mess, I'm just returning the favor."

Finn laughs. "I owe you."

Puck shakes his head. "No, we're even now."

"That sounds perfect, Puck."

Puck chuckles in agreement and then curiosity takes him over, he needs to know what happened between Finn and Rachel three years ago. "So," he begins reluctantly as Finn drinks more of his coffee, "What happened between you and Rachel three years ago?"