chapter 9

Finn and Rachel finished their duet and received a long applause from their friends. They had totally forgotten where they were and who was watching them. When was the last time they had both felt this way? When was the last time they had both felt truly happy? It's been a long time and both of them know that they can't go on living a lie anymore. Finn and Rachel continue to stare at each other as their friends applauded them, something pulled Rachel out of her trance.

"Rachel, that was amazing!" Kurt gushes.

Rachel smiles. "Thank you, Kurt," she looks at Finn, who is also snapping back into reality, "I have to go."

She hands Kurt the mic and leaves to get her purse in the hallway closet. Tina follows her, pleading her to stay longer.

"Rachel, you have to stay longer, come on," Tina pleads.

Artie wheels up behind her. "Yeah, Rachel, you have to stay. It's been a long time since we have all been together," Artie begs.

Rachel looks at both of them, feeling guilty for wanting to leave so early, but she has to. If she continues to stay, she might make the most irrational decision she will ever make. Being Rachel Berry, she needs to think things through before going for it. Moreover, if choosing Finn right now at this moment is considered irrational, she wants no part of it. She sighs.

"I'm sorry Artie and Tina, but I can't. I want to stay, but I can no longer prolong my visit. I must leave," she walks past them as they follow her to the door.

Tina opens the door. "Rachel, we must do this again," she suggests.

Rachel smiles. "That would be great," she replies. She kisses Artie and Tina's cheeks and waves goodbye as she walks to her car. Before she reaches it, she hears running footsteps behind her, she turns around to find Finn sprinting towards her.

"Finn, what are you doing?" she asks as he steps in front of her, catching his breath.

"Rachel," he begins through regaining himself, "I don't think you should drive alone. You're kind of drunk and it wouldn't be right to leave you like this," he answers.

Rachel thinks about it and has to admit that he's right, she still feels a little dizzy. She nods and hands Finn the keys. "Then you're driving me home," she replies.

Finn takes the keys from her and smirks. "Cool," he responds. They get in the car and drive off into the night. As they drive out of Artie and Tina's neighborhood, Finn couldn't help but glance at Rachel, who is leaning her head against the window. "Do you wanna go anywhere, Rach?"

Rachel looks at him. "Um, I don't know. I hope Jessie isn't home because I am in no mood to argue with him. We've argued enough," she answers.

Finn sighs in disappointment. Damn Jessie St. James, always ruining my good moments with Jessie. Finn takes in an angry breath continues driving. The rest of the ride to Rachel's house seemed like the longest ride in the world. No words were exchanged between the former lovers during the ride. A deafening silence surrounding both of them, even though the radio was on, it couldn't drown out the silence. Finn arrives in front of the Berry household and takes the keys out of the ignition. He turns to Rachel who is still looking out and making no move to get out of the car. He plays with the keys in his big hand as he tries to find the words to say.

"Um, Rachel?" he nervously calls.

"Hmm?" she calls back in a tired voice.

"You're home," Finn replies. He hears Rachel sigh and he looks at her.

Rachel sits up and looks at him. "I'm not drunk, Finn. I am a little tired but I don't want to leave you without expressing what I need to say," she responds.