Crying in the rain - Finding support

Chapter Four

Finding support

“I-I-It’s not what it looks like! It beeped when I came down here to get a glass of water and then I noticed the computer… and then-” I was cut short when he yanked the computer from my hands and turned around walking back towards my brother’s room. I heard the door slam shut, as my eyes started to water. What just happened? I went to lie down on the couch and rolled up into a ball. Was this one of his signs?

“I don’t get it Colin… this doesn’t make any sense…” I stood up wiping the tears off my face as I headed to my room. As I was passing by my brother’s room I heard Noah walking towards the closed door. Panic ran through me as I ran to my room slamming the door shut behind me. I didn’t mean to slam it I was just worried of him seeing me crying.

I silently slid down in front of the door pulling my legs to my chest. I let out a shaky breath as I heard the footsteps outside of my room. I tried to stay as silent as I could. I closed my eyes and let my head rest on my knees.

“Emma.” I heard Noah whisper. I stayed silent but my eyes flew open at the sound of my name.

“Emma, please… I’m sorry alright? I didn’t mean to do that.” I sniffled softly hoping he wouldn’t hear me. It was silent for a little longer before I heard him sigh and walk away. I went over to my bed to grab a blanket and pillow and put it in front of the door. I went over to my closet and grabbed Colin’s shirt and put it on over the shirt I already had on. It smelt just like him, I felt as if he was right next to me. I started to bite my nail on my thumb; I do this when I’m stressed out. I would be happy if I were tired, because when I sleep I dream of him. I was wide awake and at the moment there was no hope for me to go back to bed. It was about four in the morning.

I coughed again, loudly this time. Once I had it under control I heard Noah walking down the hall again.

“I know you’re awake…” I stayed silent. Can he not get the hint that I was angry with him? He practically humiliated me, not even listening to what I had to say. He probably thought I was some pathetic weak girl.

“I’m not going to leave you.” I heard him slide down the door as he sat down on behind me.

“Why didn’t you read that message?” It was a whisper but I knew he heard it. He took a deep breath before he continued.

“Because, I know what it’s going to say…” He sounded mad at himself. I stayed silent and thought for a moment. “We got into a really big fight, we said bad things to each other, and I regret every word I said. The last thing I told him was I hated him.” I heard his voice crack a little bit when he spoke. I was still confused but I didn’t push him into telling me, he would tell me on his own time if he wanted to.

“I was closer to him than your brother was… if he wasn’t with you, I was with him.” I frowned, Colin never told me that. I sniffled and pulled my blankets over me more.

“Noah?” I asked. My throat was scratchy.