I scrunched up my face. "Nah. Hell no. I thought you said I was going on alone? I gotta split my money or something?"

"No, and shut the hell up. Damn. A right hand is like somebody you'll have to help guide you in your important decisions, they'll be your extra protection and it will be somebody that has your back."

"Well I don't know anybody like that except for Jaz, and I know you don't like her."

He scrunched up his face. "You already know I don't like that scheming bitch and you better watch your back around her. It's only a matter of time before she runs back to Aubrey since one of my boys did see them kissing the other day in the school parking lot. He's got her on lock my nigga, so you better not get yourself too involved with her. And you better stop catching feelings."

I scrunched up my face this time. "Catching feelings?" I asked, confused.

"Uh yeah, don't act confused boy. I may be old but I'm not no fool. If you just tryna smash, strap up, smash and be on to the next but don't let these bitches linger because then you'll catch feelings like you're doing now. Catching feelings over bitches that come and go is for the weak and I didn't raise no weak grandson. You can find a bitch down here on every street corner but getting caught up over a bitch that doesn't have good intentions for you is gonna fuck you up the same way it did me. You're either gonna be hooked on drugs, got baby mamas all over the city, in jail, afraid the bitch is gonna snitch on you or your ass is gonna be dead. And that Jazmine bitch don't got good intentions for you. She's probably plotting on you on the low."

I just nodded my head. I'm not going back and forth with him about this. Jazmine isn't like Aubrey. She won't just turn her back on me, even though her kissing Aubrey is pretty suspicious, she wouldn't intentionally hurt me. She's got my back more than the rest of these niggas do.

"I understand," I replied.

"Good, now you see this nigga sitting on the steps here?" he asked, pointing to the guy that was sitting on the steps of the abandoned house he and Grandma used to live in. He rolled the window down and called for the guy to come over to the car.

"Yeah. You know him?"

"Meet your right hand. Adonis."

I looked to my right and watched as he approached the car

I looked to my right and watched as he approached the car. I couldn't really make out his face since he had his head covered with a towel and dark shades. All he had on was a t shirt and jeans, but from the looks of things when we first pulled up, I assumed he was some kind of crackhead who lost his way or something. But that's my fault. Maybe I shouldn't be too quick to judge people around here like Grandpa told me.

Once Adonis approached the car, he leaned across me and gave Grandpa some dap. "What's up King?" He stuck his hand out and gave me some dap. "You must be Theodore Reed."

I nodded my head. "Yeah, I am."

Adonis shook his head. "First things first kid, don't go giving out your government to anybody. If a nigga you don't know approaches you and knows your full name, he's obviously down with the Feds. So don't give them any of your information but those are the niggas you wanna feed from a distance. Don't fuck with 'em but be cordial enough with 'em so that if they go running their mouth to the police, you won't get caught up in nothing."