Chapter 20

Chapter 20

***********************************

The Worthington's move wasn't simple. They had a lot of things that they had acquired over the years that would have to be gone through. The men left Natalie to decide what to do about the household items. She packed the things she couldn't bear to part with but had to figure out what to do with the things she was willing to let go of. The men had to go through the farm and decide which farm implements they wanted to take with them and how to transport them then they had to figure out what to do with the things they didn't need. After discussing their problem they decided to have an estate sale.

After four days they managed to sell all of the excess farm equipment but there were still some of the household items that needed to be disposed of. Joshua wanted to take it to the dump because he was eager to get going but Natalie wouldn't hear of it. She came up with a better idea. Stephen and Olivia were going to move out of his house because the Worthington farm house was bigger and more modern consequently they might be able to use some of it and what they couldn't use could be donated to the fire department for burn outs. The two gratefully accepted her gift.

With the money they made from the estate sale the Worthingtons were able to hire a moving van. They packed it full as well as a trailer that they had hitched to the back of the pickup. Soon they were ready to go. Jacob called the dogs to get into the moving van with him and got them settled on the floor. Natalie was in the car ahead of him and Joshua was in the lead with the pickup and trailer. It was a happy but nostalgic group that pulled out of the driveway for the final time. Jacob fell slightly behind as he gave one last sad look at the tree house he would never see again. Realizing that his parents would soon be out of sight and wondering if something was wrong he put his foot to the pedal and sped up to catch up with them. He forgot all about the tree house as his mind dwelt on the future ahead of him. He hoped it would work out the way he wanted it to.

It was a hot, dusty, exhausted group that pulled into the driveway of their new home. It was dark but the lights were on. As they got out they were bombarded by Jasmine, Ruth, and the children.

"What took you so long? You said you would be here four hours ago. We were trying to decide whether to come look for you or not."

"We all need a bathroom, food and something to drink, in that order before we tell you anything" was the only response they got from Natalie.

"Of course; how silly of me. Come on in everything is ready for you. We'll wait to unload tomorrow." Ruth had brought everything they would need for one night. "There was a bed left behind by the former owner. It's old but clean. We made it up with fresh linen that I brought from home. Adam brought the camper trailer over and set it up in the back yard for Jacob. Then he took Isaac and Isabelle to Amy for the night because he thought we might have to look for you. We also set up one of our folding tables in the front room and brought some folding chairs as well so you won't have to eat on the floor. When you are finished cleaning up I'll have some supper laid out, its chicken, sweet potato fries, and green beans. When you're ready come and get it."

Jacob accompanied by Jasmine first went out to fasten the dogs in the stable in the barn with some food and water. They were in a strange place and he didn't want them taking off. Meanwhile, Ruth called Adam to tell him that they had arrived so he and his brothers wouldn't go searching for them. He told her that he was glad to hear it and that he would call his brothers to let them know. He then told her he would see her in the morning to help unload.

The tired trio made quick work of getting cleaned up and got to the table in record time. While they ate Jacob filled them in on what had happened to make them so late.