Chapter 18

Chapter 18

***********************************

Jasmine had Amy bent backward with her head over the sink making gentle rubbing motions as she washed her hair. Amy's eyes were closed because she was enjoying the sensations. She loved it when she got her hair washed by someone else. She was lost in daydreams when she was brought back to reality by Jasmine's squeal of delight. The hands left her hair and a babble of voices filled the air. She sat up to see what was going on to find herself facing Natalie wrapped in her daughters arms. Tears glistened on the cheeks of the girls as they kissed their mother asking when she had got there and why didn't she let them know she was coming and if there father had come too. Natalie laughingly pushed them away demanding some space so that she could answer their questions. Amy sat silently listening for her answers.

"As a matter of fact we just got here. And by 'we' I mean your father, Jacob, and myself. Adam and Caleb wanted it to be a surprise. So, ta da, here we are."

Amy was pleasantly surprised to find that hearing that Jacob was here didn't faze her at all. In the past her legs would have turned to jelly and a blush would have spread from her throat to her cheeks. She waited until the happy reunion was winding down before saying a greeting to Natalie and demanding in a loving way for Jasmine to finish her hair before the soap dried in it. Laughing, Jasmine came back to her side and set to work. Meanwhile Natalie roamed around looking at how the shop was decorated and exclaimed over how beautiful it was.

An hour and a half later, Amy was sitting looking at herself in the mirror. She thought her hair never looked better. Jasmine knew what she was doing. The cut and style had taken a few years off of her looks. Gone were the long locks to be replaced by layers which curled and ended just below her shoulders. Her hair was thick and naturally wavy. She thanked Jasmine and went over to Ruth and Natalie. Natalie was holding her granddaughter, Isabelle, who was three by now. Isabelle was fascinated with the granny she had heard so much about but never met, not that she didn't love her granny Arlington but there was always room for more.

While everyone was occupied Jasmine ran around to Caleb's side to greet her father and brother. They were soon joined by Ruth, Natalie, and of course Isabelle. She wanted to meet her other granddad and especially Uncle Jacob. She secretly wondered if he would spoil her like her Arlington Uncle's did. She wasn't disappointed. He took her into his arms throwing her up into the air and spun her around until she squealed in delight. Then he pulled a lollipop from his pocket, and after unwrapping it he gave it to her and set her on a chair next to her brothers. He had brought some for them too. Then he showed them some shiny new quarters and promised to take them shopping later. Finally he turned to greet his sister.

"Ruth, it's good to see you. Motherhood suits you. You've never looked better."

"Oh Jacob, don't be silly. You look good yourself for a man of almost thirty. It seems ages since I saw you last." Her words broke when she said that and she wrapped her brother in a big bear hug.

Then she found herself engulfed in the arms of her father who had finished talking to Jasmine. She had gone back to her salon to take care of her clients. They all filed out to give Caleb room for his next customer. He had finished Seth long before everyone arrived. Out in the street it was decided that they would take the children to the park where they could run around and play while the adults caught up on things. Then the men would go and get some food and things for a picnic so that Jasmine and Caleb could join them for lunch.

Amy walked along with Natalie and Ruth discussing what had happened since she had come home. She was surprised that Natalie, who was asking all kinds of questions about her business, was interested in her life. By the time they got to the others she was fully prepared to face Jacob but was prevented because, "Come and push me Aunt Amy" begged a sad little voice from the swings.