Chapter 14

Chapter 14

***********************************

Amy was kept busy with school and work so she didn't see the Worthingtons except when she went to the farm for the weekly supper that they shared together. The Worthingtons were busy on the farm and didn't come into town much. Because she was busy studying for her finals she didn't see much of Stephen or Olivia either. Because of this she wasn't prepared for the news she received at PJ's market.

Amy had said a pleasant goodbye to the previous customer and had turned to greet the next when she found herself face to face with Sally Loosetong.

"Hi Sally, did you find everything you needed?"

"Yes thank you. You seem to be pretty cheerful today."

"I am feeling pretty good today. Is there some reason I shouldn't?" Amy regretted the question as soon as it rolled off of her tongue.

"You mean you haven't heard?"

"I have heard a lot of things. Is there something in particular you are talking about?"

"Everyone is talking about it and I thought surly you would know. Stephen Lassiter has eloped with Olivia Snippit."

"Stephen eloped with Olivia! I wonder why she didn't say anything about it this morning at breakfast."

"Maybe she was afraid of hurting your feelings or maybe she was afraid of your reaction."

Amy realized what Sally was thinking. She wondered if the whole town was thinking the same thing. She decided to make it clear once and for all that she had no interest in Stephen Lassiter except as a friend.

"Olivia wasn't afraid of any such thing. She knows that Stephen is nothing but a friend. I was just surprised because I never noticed that they were more than friends themselves, that's all."

"Imagine that, living together all this time and not seeing the obvious. You must walk around with blinders on. The whole town knows that Stephen was madly in love with Olivia before she went away to the city to make it big. We didn't think he would ever get over her until he started taking you out. Then Olivia returned and then it was the three of you. Everyone was wondering which of the two of you would have his ring on her finger before the year was out."

"That's disgusting. You can assure the whole town that I am happy for Olivia and much to their disappointment I am heart whole and fancy free. That'll be twelve dollars and seventy-five cents please."'

Fortunately Sally didn't have time to say more because another customer walked up placing their items on the counter ready to be waited on. After taking Sally's money she counted out her change then gave her a receipt and told her to have a good day and turned to the next customer.

Inside she was fuming at the audacity of the town's people. Why did they feel as if they had to stick their nose in other people's business anyway? Then it entered her mind that the Worthington's may have heard the gossip and that might be why Jacob had been acting so odd.

Because they were so busy on the farm the Worthington's didn't find out about Stephen's elopement right away. Their first inkling that something was up was the fact that he quit coming around. At first they didn't think anything about it because he had been spending a lot of time in town so they didn't see him as much as usual. But when a week went by and he still hadn't shown up they got worried. They were wondering if something was wrong.

Joshua and Natalie decided to go to his house to check on him. When they got there the house was locked up tight and his truck was gone. They were puzzled. Could he be out on the ranch somewhere?

They left a note in the door asking him to contact them to let them know that he was alright and left for home. As they neared the end of the driveway they met his ranch hand coming up the drive. They stopped to ask about Stephen. They were surprised at what they heard. They told him about the note and suggested that he remove it for them and left.

Jacob was sitting on the porch out of sight when they arrived. He had come in for lunch and finding no one home made a sandwich and got a glass of lemonade and was eating it when he heard their truck pull in. He started to get up but stopped in his tracks when he heard his mother say;

"Imagine Stephen eloping. I thought for sure he was a confirmed bachelor after all these years."

He started coughing when the mouthful of lemonade he had just swallowed went down the wrong way. Hearing him his mother rushed over to pat him on the back.

Stepping back to look at him she asked; "Are you OK Jacob?"

"I'm fine, I'm fine. What's this you said about Stephen and Amy eloping?"

She laughingly said; "Stephen eloped with Olivia not Amy. She finally put that poor man out of his misery after all these years."

He whispered under his breath; "Poor Amy."

His mothering hearing him asked; "What about Amy?"

"What, oh nothing, I was just talking to myself. If you will both excuse me I have a few things I need to pick up in town,"

Without waiting to hear their response he jumped off of the porch, jumped into his pickup and took off for town.

"Now what was that all about?" Joshua wondered.

"I have a feeling our sons going to play big brother to the rescue again. I'm afraid he's in for a shock."

Amy reached for the soda and candy bar that were placed on the counter to ring them up. She looked up to give her standard greeting to the customer but stopped when she saw that it was Jacob.

"Hi Jacob, have things finally slowed down on the farm so that you could get away or are you playing hooky?"

"No, I just thought I would run in and get my favorite soda and candy bar as a reward for all the hard work I've put in. What I want to know is how you are?"

Puzzled by the tone of his voice when he asked that question she replied; "I'm fine. However I am looking for another room mate. It seems every time I get one they end up married. You did hear about Stephen and Olivia eloping last week didn't you?"

"Actually I just found out today. We wondered why he hadn't been coming around."

"Yes, I hear they should be back soon. He took her on a nice long romantic honey moon. They apparently moved her things out to the ranch before they left. Fancy me sharing an apartment with her and not knowing what was going on. I was told that I must have blinders on. I guess it's true."

Mistaking her words for self-pity Jacob asked her if she would like to go out with him that evening. He was determined to do everything in his power to help her get over Stephen.

Amy was pleased that he asked her. Maybe all of this marriage talk had finally made him see her as a woman not another sister. She said yes.

******************************

Author's Note: Big brother Jacob to the rescue again, poor Amy.

Don't forget to vote and comment on your favorite chapters. Happy reading, Tigger