Chapter 1

Chapter 1

***********************************

The phone went; "Ring, Ring ring......."

Natalie was busy rolling out her cookie dough when she heard it.

She quickly washed her hands and went to answer it.

"Hello"

"High mom it's me Jasmine, how are you all doing?"

"We're doing fine. Your dad has been staying busy on the farm since we got the pipeline installed. He seems much happier now. I think it was the best thing we could have done. I was in the middle of making cookies. What have you been up to?"

"I have just finished beauty school and Caleb is helping me set up my beauty parlor. We will be opening up soon."

"That is wonderful. The added income will help you kids tremendously. How are Ruth, Adam and the kids?"

"The boys are already helping Adam out on the farm and Ruth is getting them ready for school because they will be starting in the fall."

"That is good. Boy's always come in handy on the farm. It is never too early to teach them how to work. So, how are the rest of the Arlingtons?"

"Everyone is fine except for Delilah. She and Benjamin have been trying for a baby but it just isn't happening for them. She got really depressed, especially when she found out that Taylor and Seth are expecting again."

"Ah, tell Seth and Taylor congratulations from me. I am sorry for Delilah. I know when we were there for a visit she was always helping out with one of the sets of twins and was very good with them. She would make a wonderful mother. Just give it time and it will happen. Tell her that she needs to relax and not get stressed out about it."

"That is what we all keep telling her. She just will not listen and keeps dwelling on it. Oh, by the way the reason I was calling you is to let you know that Amy will be going to Rocky Mount community college out there by you all. She is advertising for a roommate to share an apartment with near the college and so far hasn't got any response yet. She doesn't want to stay alone and I was wondering if it would be ok to just let her use my room and stay with you all while she is there. I wanted to ask you about it first before I suggested it to Amy."

"Well of course I don't mind but let me see what your father says."

"Ok, love you all and I will be getting back in touch with you soon."

"Ok, Love you too."

Natalie had finished cutting out her cookies and put them in the oven to bake when Joshua and Jacob came through the door.

Natalie put lunch on the table and looking at Joshua said; "I heard from Jasmine today. She said that Amy is going to attend Rocky Mount and wanted to know if Amy can use her room while she is here. I told her that I would have to talk to you about it."

"I don't know. Do you think it would be wise to have her under our roof with Jacob in the house also? With two unmarried people under the same roof it just isn't safe. We may not all be here at the same time. You know how young people are. Trouble can happen."

"Yes, I thought of that also. I just hate to not help out though. After all they were good to our children."

Jacob broke into their conversation saying; "There is one option. I could move my bed and things into the office at the barn. I have been thinking about it anyway."

Natalie asked in concern; "But where would you eat breakfast and what about a bathroom?"

"The old out house is still there and I can rig up a shower in the wash room in the dairy barn. I can get a hot plate and fix my own breakfast, I know how to fix bacon, eggs and toast, and then when you and dad are home I will come up for lunch and supper."

Joshua liked the idea; "That sounds like a well thought out plan. I think it will work." He looked over at Natalie and suggested; "After lunch give Jasmine a call and tell her to let Amy know that she has a place to stay."

"Ok, I will, I am so glad that we can help out."

Natalie couldn't wait to call Jasmine back and give her the good news. She hurried up with her chores and then went to put the call through.

Jasmine answered on the third ring. After saying Hello Natalie told Jasmine to tell Amy that she is more than welcome to come and stay with them. It will be nice to have another girl around now that you have left home. It is kind of lonely without you. After saying this she explained the arrangement that they had come up with.

Jasmine told her mother that she would suggest it to Amy and would let her know if they should be expecting Amy to stay with them or not. So after getting off the phone with her mother she called Amy to tell her about the plan and see what she thought of it.

Beth, who was passing by on the way to the kitchen quickly answered the phone.

"Hello."

"High Beth, is Amy home? I need to talk to her if she is available."

"Sure, just a minute while I call her."

She could here Beth yell; "Amy, Jasmine is on the telephone."

Beth came back on the line telling her; "She will be here in just a minute," and then heard the receiver being set down while she waited.

Soon Amy came on the line; "High Jasmine how are you?"

"Fine thanks. The reason I am calling is because my folks have an offer for you. They asked me to tell you that while you are attending Rocky Mount you are welcome to stay with them and use my old room. Jacob will be moving down to the office at the barn so you won't have to worry about proprieties. What do you think?"

"That is very kind of them but I don't want to put Jacob out, besides, I really want to get out on my own."

"I understand that. Just think about it though, you wouldn't have to pay any rent, and your meals would be provided."

"I don't want to mooch off of your parents."

"Well, do some chores around the house or on the farm when you're not in school."

"It's tempting. Let me think about it. How about this, I still have two weeks left before my add runs out. If nobody answers it I will stay with your parents. Do you think they will agree with that?"

"I am sure they will."

"I will talk to you again soon. I hate to sound rude but I need to go. I am going out with some friends and I just heard them pull up."

"Sure. Let me know what you decide. Talk to you again soon."

"Bye."

Before Amy left she told her mother briefly what the call was about and then went out the door.

While Amy was gone Beth talked to Zach about it. Amy would have been hurt if she had known that her parents prayed that no one would answer her add. They trusted her but it was a long ways away and it would make them feel better to know that she was with friends.

Amy's parent's prayer was answered. No one responded to her add. She made a call to Jasmine and gave her the news, who then made a call to her parent's to let them know that they would be having a house guest two weeks before school would be starting in the fall.

*************************************

Author's Note: Amy is off to college and staying with friends. It isn't exactly what she wanted but she is getting away from her parents.

Hope you all will enjoy this book. Don't forget to vote and comment on your favorite chapters. Happy reading, Tigger