Chapter 4

Sorry it's a day late. Better late than never I guess. Enjoy the chapter.
Chapter 4

***********************************

It was 5:25 and Amy was sitting in the rocking chair on the front porch waiting for Randy to arrive to pick her up and take her to the dance. While she sat there she couldn't get Jacob out of her mind. The girl he counted on taking to the dance already had a date when he called her. She wondered if he was able to find someone else or if he was going to have to go alone. She didn't have long to think on it though because Randy pulled up at 5:30 sharp.

Amy poked her head in the door to tell Natalie and Joshua that Randy was here and she was leaving. They told her to have a good time. Meanwhile Randy had come up behind her and was hiding something behind his back while he waited. When she turned around he whipped a bag of Jordan Almonds out and handed them to her. They were in a pink tulle bag with a black silk draw string. He had tied a black cotton ribbon woven with pink petunias and olive green leaves around the top of the bag. The ribbon matched her blouse which was cotton with short sleeves and snapped up the front in a western style. It had a pink satin piped placket and arrow tipped faux inset chest pockets. The tips of the collar as well as the shoulders of the blouse were embroidered with pink satin petunias and olive green leaves.

"The ribbon matches my blouse perfectly, how did you know?"

"I asked Natalie."

"That is so sweet. Wait just a moment; I want to get Natalie to help me put it in my hair."

She quickly ran inside. When she came out Natalie had tied it around her head making a headband out of it. He smiled his approval, took her by the hand and helped her into the car and after getting in himself left for the party.

Quit a few people were already there when they arrived. Quite a few had already had to park quite a distance away in one of the farther fields. He decided to drop her off at the gate so she wouldn't have to walk so far and get her boots dirty.

After the passengers disembarked from the vehicle in front of them Randy pulled up to let her out. A hand reached in and took Amy's to help her out. When she stood up she found herself face to face with Jacob. Randy, seeing who had helped her out said; "Hey Jacob, wait a minute, are you stag tonight?"

"Yes. It turns out that I took all the local ladies for granted. By the time I started calling around to get a date they were all taken. So here I am, for the first time since I was a young boy, being a valet."

"Well that's a shame. I am sure you can still get plenty of dancing in later."

While she waited for Randy to park and rejoin her there was a lull in traffic so she decided to talk to Jacob until he arrived.

"You look lovely tonight. I especially like how the ribbon in your hair matches your blouse. It is a nice touch."

"Thank you. Did you know that Randy called your mom and asked what I was going to wear? He wanted to get me something to match my blouse and he did."

"No, I didn't know."

She didn't know what to say after that. So there was a brief silence between the two of them. She finally broke the silence by telling him how handsome he looked and that she was sure that there was going to be more than one lady who wished that she didn't have to turn him down when he called.

After that he stood a little taller and his shoulders went back pulling his western cut jacket tight across his chest.

"I am sure that they won't be wishing any such thing. But I thank you for the thought."