Chapter 10

Chapter 10

***********************************

Sometimes Olivia wished that her customers would just come in, have a seat, and let her do her job. But they never did. They always wanted to gossip and sometimes it was painful to hear as in this instance.

Later that day as she was closing Amy came rushing in.

"Oh, I'm too late. I was hoping that you would squeeze me in and give me a shampoo and cut. Can you fit me in tomorrow?"

"Don't be silly, I'll be glad to do it. I was just closing up early because I had a couple of cancellations and there were no more appointments. Come on over to the sink and I'll wash your hair."

After Olivia put an apron around Amy she tipped her back in the chair with her head hanging over the sink and began to soak her hair. As she worked the shampoo in she decided to get Amy's opinion about what she had heard.

"Amy?"

"Hum?" That was all she could get out because she loved having her hair washed by someone else. It was very relaxing.

"I don't normally like gossip but I have to get your opinion on something several of my customers have been going on about."

"What have the she cats been saying now?"

Olivia laughed at that.

"They're saying that Randy Spar, Jacob Worthington, and Stephen Lassiter are all madly in love with Karishma and they're supposedly acting like idiots over her. Do you think it's true?"

"I don't know. What proof do they have?"

"They said Randy has been seen eating out with her a couple of times. Of course they are always in a group but they manage to sit side by side with their heads together. In fact that's where she's at now. Then they pointed out that Jacob had danced two dances with her at the community dance but not with anybody else. In fact they said that he passed up quite a few numbers not standing up with anyone and then he took her to supper. As for Stephen, they say he's been ribbing some of the other guys about being interested in the dark eyed beauty so much they're starting to think that it's really him who's interested in her. What do you think about it?"

"I don't know. She's never said anything to me about it. If Randy's taking her out there might be something to it because I don't think he's the type to lead someone on. Of course they did say that they were with a group each time. It's possible that it was noisy and they leaned toward one another to hear what they were talking about. Whoever started these rumors may have seen them and blown it all out of proportion. You know how gossips are."

"That's true."

"As for Jacob, just because he danced a couple of dances with her and had supper with her it doesn't mean he's interested in her. Randy danced two dances with me and ate supper with me as well. Do they think he's interested in me too?"

"No, they haven't said a word about that. You're right they're just being silly."

"Exactly, and as for Stephen, since when does teasing his friends about a girl indicate that he's interested in her? Stephen's always been a tease."

"Not always. When we were in school together he was a very serious young man."

"Well, he's always been a tease since I've known him."

"Maybe he teases you because he is interested in you. Maybe he's flirting with you."

"No way, he's too old for me."

"Age doesn't mean anything, remember Ruth and Boaz?"

Amy didn't have anything to say about that. There was a time when she thought he might be interested. He tried hard to get her alone when they went to the zoo but she made it clear that she wasn't interested. She thought that was the end of it. Then she remembered something.

"Oh my goodness, I just remembered something. When I was still living with the Worthington's I had Karishma over for supper and Stephen came by to tell Joshua that someone had run through the fence and some of the cows got out so he put them up and fixed the fence. That evening Jacob and Stephen had met her for the first time and made absolute fools of them-selves over her. They were practically fighting over her and it made her angry. Later we went for a walk and she stayed by my side talking to me and totally ignored them practically the whole time so Jacob left to go to bed and Stephen went home miffed. Maybe they are interested in her."

"I was afraid of that."

"Why?"

"Well, just think if she loves one of them the other two are going to be hurt. I can't help but feel sorry for them."

"I see what you mean. I wonder who she'll choose."

After that the two lapsed into silence. As Olivia cut and styled Amy's hair they were both wrapped up in their own thoughts. After she finished Amy paid her and asked if she would like to come into the apartment for some supper. Olivia thanked her for the invitation but declined because she had some things she needed to do. Amy was disappointed because she didn't want to be alone. She knew that her mind was going to dwell on what she had heard and she knew that if it did it would only cause her more pain.

Amy decided to lock up the apartment and go to the diner for a sandwich. Boy was that a mistake. Some of the girls from her study group were there and what were they talking about, the one thing she was trying to put out of her mind. She tried to change the subject by talking about some of the classes they were going to be taking when the new semester started but they wouldn't be swayed. Apparently some of the men of the town had started a poll as to who would end up as Karishma's husband. It was disgusting. She made up some excuse, paid her bill and left.

On her way home Amy made the decision to concentrate on her education. She also resolved to put men out of her mind until she had her degree. Then she would see. She didn't know how soon that resolve was going to be put to the test.

********************************

Author's Note: The girls wisely deflected the gossip of their neighbors but fell into the trap of their own. Now they are unhappy. It's up to the men to straighten them out.

Don't forget to vote and comment on your favorite chapters. Happy Reading, Tigger