Chapter 2

Chapter 2

***********************************

When Amy arrived at the Worthington farm she was greeted by Jasmine's family. After a brief hug and a hello, Jacob started getting the bags out of the car and carrying them into the house and up to Jasmine's old room.

Amy was dressed in a pair of blue denim jeans along with a floral pattern tank top. She also wore a denim scarf with a pink bow, sandals, and blue earrings as accessories. Jacob thought that she never looked better. He wouldn't admit it to her but he was glad that she had come. He missed his sister and it would be nice to have another girl around the house, only to tease though, nothing else.

After the greetings were said Amy, Natalie, and Joshua carried what was left of her things and followed Jacob into the house. They eagerly asked her about her trip and how the family was. When she finished answering all their questions Natalie suggested that she call her parents to let them know that she had arrived safely. Amy felt as if she was home. After she finished her phone call and everything was put away they sat around the table, eating the light meal Natalie had prepared. Amy thought to herself that Jacob had put on some muscle since the last time she saw him. He looked quite manly. The lanky boy was gone.

Natalie refused to allow Amy to help clean up so when Joshua and Jacob went to milk she asked if she could go with them. They were delighted to have her along. She asked Jacob about Rocky Mount Community College and he offered to take her and show her around after he was finished milking the next morning. She eagerly agreed.

While they were milking Stephen Lassiter stopped by as usual. He was glad to see Amy again. In fact she had grown into quite a beautiful young woman. He monopolized her while the other two milked and Jacob had a difficult time ignoring his irritation.

Amy didn't notice anything wrong because she was totally occupied with Stephen's stories about his dairy cow breeding program. She admired how his small start turned into a huge money making success. Besides his success he was a very attractive man, even if he was thirty-seven; thirty-seven seemed ancient to a girl of twenty-three. She thought to herself that his life story would make a fascinating book. When the work was finished he even walked her to the house to Jacob's chagrin.

The evening meal was a light salad topped with grilled chicken. When it came time to clear up Amy refused take no for an answer. She helped Natalie clear the table and wash up while the men went to the office to do the books. When they were all finished they sat out on the front porch until dark, sipping iced tea, and talking about this and that.

The Worthington's wanted to know what she was going to study in school. She told them that she was taking courses to be an accountant because she always loved working with numbers. That led to Jacob telling her about his time at Rocky Mount and how, after he had finished his agricultural courses, he had put them to use the last few years on the farm and how they had helped increase their yield by forty percent so far. He told her that each year got better. She listened attentively as if it were news to her; she didn't have the heart to tell him that she already knew everything about him because Jasmine always shared her letters from him with her. He would blush if he knew that she had read how he mooned over every new girl in his life. She was always the "one", until the next one came along. Personally she thought he was fickle.

What the girls didn't know was that it was always the girl that broke it off with Jacob. It was never his idea. They never told him why so he had no idea what was so displeasing about himself that he couldn't manage to hold on to not even one of them.