Chapter 11

Chapter 11

***********************************

Jacob had the farm work all caught up so he decided to call Randy to invite him over for supper and a game of horseshoes. Randy told him that he would like to but he already had plans to take Amy and Karishma to the theater. He asked Jacob if he would like to come along. At first he declined but Randy urged him on so he finally said yes. After he hung up the phone he told his mother that Randy already had plans with Amy and Karishma and that he had been invited to join them. She ws delighted to hear that he had said that he would go. She couldn't wait to tell Joshua.

Jacob was to meet the group at the theatre. He got there early so he killed some time looking at the movies that were playing. He wondered which one they were going to see. He hadn't even asked. After he finished reading them he thought that they all sounded good to him so it wouldn't matter which one they chose. He looked at his watch and noticed that it was nearing time for them to arrive so he went back out to the entrance. They were walking up just as he got there. Randy had a girl on each arm and they were laughing. He walked up to them and asked;

"What's so funny?"

Karishma laughingly repeated the joke Randy had just pulled on them.

"I've heard him tell that one before. He makes it sound as though it really happened. Then just when he has you hooked he drops the punch line. Which one of you fell for it?"

With a laugh they said in unison; "We both did."

Chuckling Jacob then asked which movie they were going to go see. When they told him he walked up to the window and bought two tickets. He had agreed to come under the condition that he would pay for himself and one of the girls. Randy agreed. After he had purchased the tickets he turned and finding Karishma nearest him he took her by the arm and led her into the theater. '

He didn't see the irritated look on Randy's face or the hurt look on Amy's.

When they got into the theater they found an empty row near the middle. Randy asked the girls to save four seats for them while he and Jacob went to get popcorn and soda before the movie started.

When they got out to the lobby Randy took Jacob aside and told him; "I need to clear something up with you. I'm here with Karishma. She and I have been seeing quite a bit of one another. In fact, I'm trying to build up the courage to ask her to marry me."

Stunned by that bit of news, because Karishma was two years older than Randy, Jacob replied; "I'm sorry, I had no idea. Does Amy know?" Randy laughed out the answer; "Probably not since I haven't proposed to Karishma yet. She knows that we have been dating. She even goes with us occasionally."

"I can't believe how totally out of touch I've gotten."

"I can. You're practically a hermit, staying at the farm all of the time. You never come to town '''anymore. I was surprised when you agreed to come tonight."

Jacob didn't reply to that. As they waited in line to get the popcorn and drinks he kept dwelling on the news he had just heard. Pour Amy, he thought, to be in love with someone who loves someone else is bad enough, but to live with the one that he loves and even go out with them would be a torment. I moved back to my room too soon because she'll have to move back now.

When they returned to the girls they found them sitting beside each other with a seat saved on either side. Amy was farthest in so Jacob excused himself and crossed over them to sit on her right. She smiled up at him as he did so. Randy sat down in the aisle seat beside Karishma. Jacob handed Amy her drink and held out the large box of popcorn he had bought to share with her. Feeling sorry for her he looked at her tenderly and almost made her drop her drink.

The whole evening Amy wondered what had come over him because he was so attentive to her. When Karishma first proposed the scheme she didn't want to go along with it because it looked so suggestive, like she was throwing herself at Jacob, but she needn't have worried because it looked as though he didn't mind.

After the movie ended they went to the local A&W for root beer floats and listened to a few songs on the jukebox before calling it a night.

Lying in bed, her face turned toward the window, Amy couldn't stop thinking about Jacob. He was back to the young man she remembered. Whatever had come between them was gone and he had even asked her out before he left. He wanted to take her to the park for a picnic for lunch the next day. Her resolution forgotten she happily accepted.

Lunch with Jacob couldn't have been better. Natalie had packed a basket of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, salad, and mixed fruit. Amy had made a jug of iced tea and a chocolate velvet cake. They ate until they were full then lay drowsily in the sun listening to the squeals of children playing nearby. After they were rested they took a walk along the path and talked about one another's family until they were all caught up on the news.

As he reached to open the door for her to enter her apartment it was pulled from his hand and a grinning Randy declared; "Ah, just the man I want to see. I was wondering if you would like to be my best man at my wedding."

"You know I would." He said while looking toward Amy to see how she was taking it. He was surprised to see the ecstatic look on her face. She went to Karishma and hugged her then Randy all the while mumbling words of congratulations. It wasn't what he was expecting at all. He knew she wouldn't break down in front of them but he thought she would be stoically trying to hide a broken heart. But no, she was really genuinely happy for them and even consented to be Karishma's bride's maid. At first he was glad but then irritation set in. Here he was feeling sorry for her, doing everything to take her mind off of Randy and he didn't even need to. She didn't love him after all. He didn't have any more time to dwell on it though because soon they were caught up in wedding plans. They went out to supper and Karishma brought a note book to put everything down in writing.

The big day came and went. Everything went smoothly and according to plan. The highlight of the reception was when Jacob stood up to make a short speech welcoming the new couple. It was a beautiful speech highlighting their good qualities and he ended by telling everyone that Randy should count his blessings because his bride was as beautiful on the inside as she was on the outside. He ended by telling them the meaning of her first and middle names. He told them her name Karishma meant "Miracle" and Eenakshi meant "whose eyes look like deer". Every one applauded when they heard it. This made her blush and Randy covered it up by taking her hand and pulling her up to lead her to the dance floor. Stephen was the life of the reception, dancing every dance, not allowing a single lady to be a wall flower. By the end of the evening it was obvious to everyone that neither one of them was heartbroken. Neither had any interest in Karishma beyond that of a friend, that the three men were very good friends, and there had never been any competition between them for her hand.

The day before the wedding Karishma had moved her things into Randy's house. All that was left in her room were her toiletries, a nightgown, and her wedding dress. She realized that her moving out would leave a vacancy in the apartment. Since she didn't want Randy paying her debt, after much discussion, it was decided between them that they would invite Olivia to share expenses with Amy. The added income from another renter would go toward paying her loan. Olivia eagerly accepted. She was looking for a place in town, closer to work, but hadn't been successful so far. This was a dream come true for her.

Their first evening together the girls giggled over the fact that they had fallen victim to town gossip. For a few days Olivia told her that all the ladies could talk about was; How beautiful Karishma was in her wedding gown, and wasn't the meaning of her name just beautiful, etc., etc. But she soon wished for that subject back because once the excitement of the wedding was over Olivia spent the next couple of weeks enduring more gossip as each customer spent her time in the chair discussing Jacob and Stephen and trying to figure out who had started all the gossip about them anyway. It was all Olivia could do not to roll her eyes.

***********************************

Author's Note: Have the town people learned their lesson and will they stop meddling in other people's business or will there be more confusion?

Don't forget to vote and comment on your favorite chapters. Happy Reading, Tigger