Leaving for Leeds

Leaving for Leeds

'Are you sure you have everything?'

'Yes Josh.' My name is Kasey Armstrong and I am thirty years old from Birmingham. Today I am finally packing up and leaving my home city to plant new roots up north in Yorkshire because of a job transfer. I am a sports physiotherapist and I have spent the last five years assisting the Warwickshire and England cricket team here in Edgbaston but I have been offered a new job and to be honest I feel like it is time for a change. I was born here, survived my education here (including university) and then managed to get a job here so I feel a bit isolated. Another big reason for my relocation is that I ended a long-term relationship about six months ago with one of the groundsmen at the cricket ground. It just got too awkward.

I feel bad though. I have had to sell my flat and my brother was living with me so he has to go and find somewhere more affordable which is some crappy, room in a house full of "under achievers" like him. At least he has a job now. 'Now then you.' I pause my actions of hurriedly checking I have all my essential items and turn to my younger brother. 'Be good.'

'I am always good.' He shrugs his shoulders cheekily making his short sleeve of his dirty football shirt ride up over his shoulder displaying his newest tattoo of a lion's head to his collection working down his left arm.

'I mean it Josh.' I sigh and run a finger through my short, blond pixie cut to tuck my fringe out of the way. 'You have a job, a place to live and a good community of friends around you...it is the best it has ever been for you so please look after yourself.' I stare at my brother, our green eyes fusing in some sort of staring contest as he looks seriously unimpressed at my statement. The thing about Josh is that he is a lad's lad. He prefers to be playing football and knocking down beers than trying to form a lively hood. He is a twenty-two-year-old guy who dropped out of university with a criminal record from shop lifting when he was a teen so he isn't exactly the most employable person in the world. I thought he would be living off my back forever so when he told me that he has a job as a bouncer I was very pleased.

'Don't worry sis.' He dismisses me by flailing his right hand, 'I have got this, for real this time.' I watch him pick up the last box without any issue making me internally sigh knowing that I will have to be dealing with the heavy lifting later. 'Now come on, you had better get going.' He walks out of the flat for the last time as he has already moved into his new accommodation and I shut the door behind me trying not to get emotional. I have lived here for around seven years so it is quite difficult to go. I post the keys through the letterbox as the estate agent requested knowing he has the other set before following my brother out of the block of flats towards my car.

My battered, blue Seat Leon is sat in its parking space with a scuffed wing mirror and dent in the rear left door which have been there for the past few years. This car is definitely on its way out but it has served its purpose. Let's just hope it gets me to Leeds in one piece. Josh puts the last box in the boot before slamming it shut making me suddenly realise that this is it. I am leaving. 'I am going to miss you sis.' Josh states before pulling me in for a brotherly hug and he clutches me tightly.

'I am going to miss you too Josh-y boy.' I kiss his cheek before pulling away.

'I am going to come and visit.' He tells me.

'You'd better.' I playfully punch him on his bicep before moving around to my car door to pull it open and climb inside. 'Keep an eye on mum.' I tell once I have shut the door and opened the window. He nods. 'Josh...I mean it.'

'I will don't worry.' He shrugs it off, 'Have fun in Leeds but if you convert into a Leeds United fan I will disown you.' He tells me seriously making me laugh.

'Don't worry man, Aston Villa forever.' I fist pump him through the window before starting up my engine. I don't actually give a flying monkey about football. I prefer athletics, cricket and tennis personally. I start to pull out of my space and towards the open road after giving my brother a quick wave through the window. Hopefully everything is going to be great in Leeds.

\~.~.~.~.~/

Four boxes down...three to go. I arrived here in Leeds around an hour ago now in the pouring rain but thankfully it has seemed to have brighten up so I won't have to carry these last, heavy boxes whilst wading through water. I am already loving the North. I exhale as I yank another box out of the boot of the car but when I turn I knock into someone making the box tumble out of my hands and onto the curb, luckily there is nothing breakable in it so I leave it on the ground and immediately turn to the poor guy I collided with. 'Oh I am so sorry!' I exclaim as I take a gentle hold of the man's arm to steady him and to prevent him from falling.

'It is alright.' A voice states as he stumbles back onto the curb looking rather flustered. I notice the guitar case in his hand and his hair matted and stuck to his forehead because of the rain. I pick up the box which thankfully hasn't broken on impact with the tarmac and smile at my encounter. 'You new round here?' He questions.

'Yeah, I've come up from Birmingham.' I tell him before balancing the box in my left arm to hold out my right for him to shake. 'Kasey Armstrong.' I watch him place his guitar down onto the pavement and take my hand in his to shake.

'Andrew White.' He tells me, 'But people call me Whitey.'

'Lovely to meet you Whitey.' I tell him as I pull my hand out of his grasp.

'Do you need some help with your stuff?' He offers shyly making me smile.

'It is alright. You look like you are off somewhere so I won't bother you.' I reply graciously, 'But thanks for the offer. Where are you off to may I ask?'

'Band rehearsal.' He states casually, 'We have a gig in a few days.'

'Sounds exciting. I can see you are a guitarist; play in a band I may know?' I am personally musically inept but I do appreciate and enjoy music all the same.

'Kaiser Chiefs?' He questions and it clicks. Oh my gosh! The Kaiser Chiefs are huge!

'Yeah!' I exclaim excitably making him chuckle and me wanting to hide anyway in embarrassment. 'You guys are really cool.' I blush.

'Thanks.' He chuckles again but this time out of nervousness, he obviously isn't the most sociable of people. 'So...what brings you to the best city in the world?' I giggle at this making him smile.

'Work. I am a sports physiotherapist, mainly working with cricketers, and I have moved clubs.' I pause for a moment to shut the boot of my car, 'I used to work a lot with the Warwickshire cricket team down in Birmingham but I was offered a post to help the Yorkshire team so here I am.'

'Well I hope you enjoy working with the best team ever.'

'Debatable.' I challenge just as I feel the rain start to fall again making him frown.

'Well I'd better shoot off.' He tells me just as I dig around in my bag pocket for a business card to give to him.

'Here is my number Whitey just in case you or any of the other guys are in need of a sports massage or whatever.' I smile as I hand it over. He peers down at it briefly before pocketing it.

'I will message you this evening just so you have my number. Just in case you need anything.'

'Thanks Whitey, have a good practice.' With that he disappears through the bustling people in the central business district of Leeds. Who would have thought it? The first face I meet in Leeds is a member of a famous rock band. Still, stranger things have happened.

A/n new fanfiction! Wooh let's celebrate :) I haven't finished my other Ricky Wilson fanfiction yet but I only have one exam left so I have decided that I have the time to do both :)