Chapter 30: Breathe Me

As he approached me my heart began racing. It was beating so loud I could hear it in my ears. Just the idea of him coming near me made me ill.  

It was Tommy. 

He walked toward me with a purpose, his red hair illuminated in the back, making him seem more menacing.  I knew what he was capable of. This much was clear by how he treated Melissa more than six months earlier.  

"Hey Ellie," he said, with a smile that sent chills up my spine. "What are you doing all alone out here?" He asked. 

I didn't want to answer. I wanted to pretend that he'd never seen me, that I wasn't here right now. I stood up, still leaning against the tree in an effort to further myself from the large red-haired man.  He was bigger, more brawny than the last time I'd seen him. In this way he seemed scarier as well. 

"Are you alone out here?" He asked, pretending to be concerned. Really, I knew he just wanted to check whether or not anyone would be around to see what he'd do next. 

"No, I'm not alone. I came with a friend and she'll be back any s-s-second," I said. My lips were quivering in fear, making me stutter. 

"Well, that's funny. I could have sworn you came out here all alone, crying," he told me. He took another step in my direction. He was close now, too close. 

"No, she'll be back in a bit, but thanks for your concern." I faked a smile. Trying to seem cal and genuine. He took another step toward me. He was now within an arm's reach. 

"Why don't you just cut the crap. I know you're alone." He inched toward me. I knew what he was doing. He was approaching me slowly, knowing that any sudden movement would scare me off. To him, I was his prey. Merely a deer he was hunting, and he was now going in for the kill. 

I stood against the tree, trying to push against it the best I could, every inch counted. He lifted up a hand and put it on my waist. I wanted to vomit.  Only two men had touched me that way, I didn't want to add him to the list. He caressed my stomach with his thumb. I stared down, not wanting to look up and into his eyes. I was breathing heavily and was noticeably shaking in fear. 

By then he'd obviously waited long enough. He swooped his neck down and forced a kiss on me. I raised my hands in defense but he'd grabbed them both with one hand, holding them over my head.  He used his free hand to run his fingers up and down the side of my body.  I wanted to cry. Maybe I'd shed too many tears today or what was happening hadn't fully registered, but the tears weren't coming. My eyes were still open in disbelief.  

This can't be happening. Please, no! I pleaded within myself.  

He broke away from the kiss, needing time to breath. He lowered his head to try again, this time I bit his lip. He let my hands free, but only long enough to backhand me across the face. In his anger he pulled me away from the tree and pushed me to the ground below.There were roots and twigs scratching into my back. This was when the tears came.  

I tried to scream but he covered my mouth with his hand as he straddled me.  

"What, so you can give it up to that pretty boy Adam, but I'm not good enough?" He asked with rage in his voice. He held both of my hands down again, using his free hand to rip the top of my dress, freely touching what he wanted.

In my desperation I began the kick and wriggle my way free, but he was too heavy. I'd never felt so powerless in my life. My face was wet and hot, a mix of tears, anger, and fear. He had trouble trying to lift my dress, so he barely lifted himself off of me. I used this opportunity to hit him as hard as I could. I felt my hand hit his face and that only upset him more.