Chapter 26: Let It Rain

The rain stopped. The air was clean and humid. The smell of the water on the asphalt was rose-like in my paradisiacal state. Everything seemed better. 

Adam and I were in his car. He was driving. He told me he had something to show me. I, for some reason, agreed to go, without any knowledge of where we were headed. We turned into a parking lot. 

"Adam, what the hell are we doing?" I asked as we  approached a museum. 

"Just trust me, okay," he answered.  He parked the car. Apparently he saw nothing odd about the situation.

"You do know it's Christmas Day, right? Nothing is open today," I told him. 

"I know," was all he said. The sun still hadn't risen so it was a bit dark out, but I knew where we were. Why we were here was the more important question. We approached a door in the back of the building. Back doors, this was definitely not legal. 

"We're not... breaking in here are we?" I asked, my voice laced with apprehension. 

"It's not breaking and entering if you've got a key." He pulled a ring of keys from his pocket and opened the door. He took my hand and led me through. 

"Do I even want to know how or why you have a key to the back door of the museum?" I asked him. 

"Let's just say I know a guy." He knew a guy. At this point I was positive this wasn't legal, but it didn't matter. I was sure I'd do plenty of illegal things just to get a chance to hold his hand. 

It was dark. I couldn't see where we were headed. All I knew was that his hand was holding mine, leading me into an unknown room. Even without sight of him, I knew he was there. Even if our hands had not been intertwined. I would sense him.  

"Seriously Adam, what are we doing here?" I was growing anxious. I was never one for surprises. 

"Hold on, you'll see," he assured me. Though I couldn't see him, I knew he was smiling back at me, based on his voice. He tightened his grip on my hand. The tingles were back. I shivered every time his hand moved along my own. The tension had simmered to a gentle feeling of comfort and attraction since our recent kiss. He pulled his phone from his pocket. I couldn't make out much of anything but a small raised area of the floor.  

"Okay, lay here and close your eyes," he ordered. Needless to say, I was confused. He gently let go of my hand. 

"Sorry pal, I'm not falling for that one. I am 99% sure that's how my mom got pregnant with me," I told him.  

"Ha. Ha. Funny," he answered sarcastically. "Seriously though, just do it. I'll be right back," he told me, so I did. 

It was quiet. I could tell we were in a large room by the way the sound of his footsteps echoed from wall to wall, filling the area with sound. Had it been silent, I would have been scared for my life. But the sound of him walking soothed my nerves. I heard a click, like a switch had been flipped. I barely resisted an urge to open my eyes out of curiosity. 

"Keep your eyes closed," he said as if he heard my thoughts. I heard another switch. A small flash of light was noticeable even with my eyes closed, but it quickly went away, fading into something softer. I began to hear Adam's footsteps as he walked closer and closer.  

He was near me again. Even though it was silent I could tell. I felt him lay beside me. He took a hold of my hand, ever so gently. We were so close I felt his body heat radiated through me. I felt him come closer. I became nervous as I felt his breath as he whispered into my ear.