Chapter 19

Willow could hear Bucky's ragged breathing in the bed across from her, he always sounded like he was struggling to breath when he slept. Willow could sense the waves of anger radiating off Bucky as he slept, but it was nothing compared to some nights; when the full spectrum of Bucky's emotions would slam into Willow, all the pain and anguish. 

  Dragging herself out of bed, Willow slid back into her wheelchair as quietly as possible. Wheeling herself towards the door, she grabbed the small silver handle and turned it; only to find the door locked. Thinking that perhaps she just wasn't turning it the right way, Willow jiggled the door handle again, she could hear the sound of metal on metal. Someone had locked them in! Willow had half a mind to blast the door open, but she didn't want to cause any problems for Bucky or Steve. Instead she rolled her wheelchair into the small bathroom and stared at herself in the mirror. 

 The woman who stared back at Willow from the mirror was someone she could hardly recognize.  Willow had changed a lot not only in the last two years, but since the accident. Willow had never been a skinny girl, her brother had told her that she was built like a brick wall. She had broad shoulders, and had always been strong for her size. Willow had always kept her silver hair cut short, but after she'd been paralyzed, the ex- SHIELD agent had allowed it to grow out past her shoulders. After the accident, Willow's broad shoulders had seemed to shrink inward, and her strong legs became frail. Willow's round face had become hollow, and her collarbones seemed ready to burst through her skin. The last two years had been the happiest of Willow's life, and she'd managed to put some weight back on, but Willow's once bright eyes seemed to have grown dull. Her hazel green eyes were shadowed, black lines running under them. The presence of Thanos on her mind had taken a toll, not just in her mind, but on her body.

 Willow ran her hands through her tangled hair, trying to straighten it. But it was no use, Willow decided to just pull it up in a bun and forget about it. 

 Moving without making a sound, Willow wheeled her chair back to her bed, and dragged herself out of the wheelchair and onto her bed. Willow sat there all night, her hands gripping the sheets, listening to the sound of Bucky's ragged breathing.