Chapter 12

Willow was starving, thirsty, and sleep deprived. She hadn't slept for 5 days, and she had started seeing shapes, things where there were none. Her eyes were shadows, and she was pale and sweaty. Willow had fallen out of her wheelchair two days ago, and hadn't moved from her position slumped against the wall. 

Using her telekinetic abilities, Willow had barred the door from the inside, using a stolid steel beam she had ripped from the wall with her mind. For the last week, the Avengers had all tried and failed to break in, and Willow felt horrible for locking them out. But she couldn't risk hurting them, not until she had beaten this thing. 

 It wasn't letting her rest, and even if she could sleep, Willow wouldn't. She had to focus all her mental strength on blocking this thing out, if she slept she might lose control. 

 Give in child, let us give you power. All that power inside of you, yet you do nothing. You could rule this earth. People would kneel in your presence. It whispered

 I don't need that. I have everything I will ever need, right where I am.

Yet your so-called friends lock you up like a rabid animal.

 I am willing to stay in this cell until I die, if that's whats needed.  My friends, no, my FAMILY; I won't endanger them. 

 Willow closed her eyes, trying to force the presence out of her mind. 

 You grow weak child, you can never win. Give in to us.

Unlikely. Besides, why wouldn't you want to possess an Avenger? I can't even walk on my own.

Foolish child. If we have you, we have all of the Avengers. The Asgardian was weak, useless, compared to you. 

 The Creatures plan for Willow suddenly slammed into her, Oh god. It was right, if it controlled Willow, it could take control of the rest of the Avengers minds. Except for Bucky. Willow had built blockades in his mind, so she could never possess his mind, without his permission. 

 Ah yes. You believe the Winter Soldier will save you. He will obey our will, the fool will not risk harming you.

 You underestimate the strength of my team. 

We will strike them down. The IronMan. Thor. The Hulk. Captain America. The Winter Soldier, your Bucky. All of them will fall, and you will be helpless.

  Willow allowed her anger to build, until it was a roaring storm inside of her. Willow was patient, but when her temper snapped it snapped. No one, no one threatened her friends, her family. No one trapped Willow in her own mind, no one made her a prisoner. Nothing was allowed to use her, to make her feel weak. 

 Out! Get out! Get out! Leave me! The screaming pain in her mind increased, her mind at it's snapping point. Willow knew she was screaming, and could hear someone banging on the door. Her mind was consumed by flames, burning away the creature.  

  She heard it give a screech of pain, and then her mind was free. It was gone, whatever presence had been slamming into her brain, Willow had forced it out.

 Weakly lifting a hand, she allowed the steel bar that she'd slammed in front of the door to fall away. And then she stopped using her mind to keep the door closed, her hand fell weakly to the ground. The last thing Willow saw before her vision went black was Bucky kneeling next to her.