Rebuilding

I was sat opposite Mrs Fisher's desk, Mr Mead by my side, when she walked in.
"Right," she said sternly, sitting down. "What has been going on?" She was glaring at Mr Mead.
"I can explain," began Mr Mead.
"No, I will," I interjected. Mr Mead glanced at me, but allowed me to go on. "I don't like living with Graham, okay. It's just not, not - I miss my family. And 'cause I don't like it I just keep getting into trouble so I don't stay long. I go out and come back late and then leave early in the morning. Graham came here to have a go at me and try take me back there, but I don't want to go."
"That's all fine, Jake, but it doesn't explain why the two of you were winded in the cooler," she shouted. I looked at Mr Mead, unsure of how to respond. "Did you pick a fight with Graham?" she asked me.
"No," I protested.
"Did you?" she asked Mr Mead.
"Did I?" said Chris, sounding shocked. "Does that sound like something I would do, to you?"

"You're getting pretty feisty over issues like this lately," pointed out Mrs Fisher. 
"Graham's a psycho," I interrupted. "He was the one doing the attacking. He's not safe," I snapped.
"Graham is a certified care worker. He is in a position of trust. As are you," shouted Mrs Fisher, continuing to glare at Mr Mead. "You can't go dragging kids into battles!"
"Karen," protested Mr Mead.
"My dad was in a position of trust but that didn't stop him being useless! Graham passed his tests years ago and now he's deteriorated into some sort of beast! Mr Mead, however," I shouted, but then I lowered my voice. "He's saved me more times than I can remember. He's the one looking out for me, giving me the chances and putting up with the crap I do."
"Language," snapped Mrs Fisher.

"That's the reality though. Mr Mead got punched in the stomach looking out for me, okay. I annoyed Graham by shoving him over and Graham took it out on him," I shouted again.
"Go and wait in the cooler please, Jake," instructed Mrs Fisher.
"But-" I began.
"Jake," she said sternly, and sighing I got up and began to leave. Mr Mead was staring at the floor as I did so. I shut the door but hovered at the small window.
"You are not his father, Chris, you're his teacher. Along with the rest of the pupils'" she began.
"I know that. But we are responsible for his welfare too," he pointed out.
"You shouldn't be sorting out his arguments from home, though," said Mrs Fisher.
"If it's affecting him in school we need to deal with it," pointed out Mr Mead. Then I heard the room fall silent. Before I had a chance to move the door was flung open.
"Get to the cooler, Jake," shouted Mrs Fisher. I nodded and scuttled off.

When it eventually came to lunchtime I was allowed out and went to join the others in the canteen. 
"Where've you been?" smirked Josh as I sat down.
"The cooler," I sighed.
"You weren't in there when I got sent in," pointed out Kyle.
"Yeah, well, me and Mead were getting shouted at by Mrs Fisher," I shrugged.
"And Mead?" asked Kyle.
"Yeah, apparently he's being to good, looking out for me too much. Just making her look bad I reckon," I laughed. "Sorry Harry," I added, but he just shrugged.
"I can't believe you are still hanging around with him," interrupted Finn, standing at the end of the table. "You know, because he's a thief now as well."
"Leave it, Sharkey," I sighed, turning away.
"No," said Finn. "I won't. You stole that phone and you stole my mates."

"When are you going to stop with that one?" I snapped, standing up and squaring up to Finn.
"Jake, come on," said Sam, tugging at my arm. I continued to glare at Finn for a few moments, then turned away.
"Yeah, that's it Jake, keep being the reformed citizen you are," prompted Finn.
"What?" I snapped, turning round.
"We all know you are dying to re-offend, have a go at me," he added.
"Yeah, and right now you deserve it," I shouted, storming back over to him and grabbing his collar and hesitating. "But we all know you are just too scared," he whispered.
"Scared of what," I hissed back.
"Getting in trouble," he answered with a smirk. At that I punched him in the stomach but he punched me back. We continued on in a similar vain until Mr Clarkson came running in. He was slowly joined by Mrs Fisher.

"Pack it in!" he shouted, pulling me off Finn.
"He's got it in for me!" I shouted, in protest.
"My office, both of you," she shouted. Mr Clarkson began to lead me away.
"Get off me!" I snapped, shrugging out of his grip. He didn't reject to my request, however. When we got to her office Mr Mead was still in there, sitting on the sofa. Finn marched in first, then Mrs Fisher and then me followed by Mr Clarkson. At this, Mr Mead stood up.
"What's going on?" he asked.
"Sit down, boys," said Mrs Fisher, rejecting the question.
"It's not fair miss! It's all him trying to wind me up!" I argued.
"Sit down, Jake!" she shouted. Finn had already done so, sitting on one of the seats opposite her desk. I glared at her, feeling my anger develop.
"Come on, Jake," said Mr Clarkson, pulling out a chair by the circular table for me to sit in. With a deep sigh, I did so, and he sat down next to me. 

"Mrs Fisher, there is probably something you should know before we start," said Mr Clarkson. "After school, yesterday, Mr Mead and I went to the park having been tipped off about a fight. Ethan told us he heard that Finn was going to cause trouble."
"When were you thinking of telling me this?" she demanded.
"Well we haven't really had a chance to," pointed out Mr Clarkson, and she nodded.
"I know Finn has been winding Jake up, but I wouldn't say Jake is totally in the clear either," he began. He then turned to face me. "You've been reacting pretty badly to it."
"Sorry," I muttered.
"Yes, well sorry doesn't really cut it anymore. You need to actually improve your behaviour," said Mrs Fisher sternly. "I am more than happy for both of you to walk away from this with a mere week of detentions if you can promise me this; the hatchet is buried here, now."

"I'm not going to forget what he has done," said Finn slowly.
"Same here," I pointed out.
"You don't have to be best mates," pointed out Mr Mead.
"I mean it though, boys," said Mrs Fisher. "Walking out of this office today, you promise me that there will be no more grief between the pair of you, because if I hear of any there will be trouble."
"What kind of trouble," I smirked.
"Jake," sighed Mr Mead.
"You'll be out of this school," said Mrs Fisher bluntly. Gulping, I nodded slowly - it was always hard to hear that. "You may both go, if you agree to that."
"Yes, miss," we said in unison before getting up and leaving.

As we were going down the stairs I shouted after Finn, but he ignored me and kept walking.
"Finn!" I shouted again, only to be ignored. "Urgh, Finn!" I added, grabbing his shoulder and turning him around.
"You heard them, no grief," he spat back.
"I don't want any," I said as he turned around again. "Listen, Finn!" and he hesitated. "I'm being serious, okay. I don't want to fight with you anymore, it's getting boring."
"Whatever."
"Come on. I have a shit life out of school so I don't want it to be the same in school," I pointed out. "Look, if we can just be mates again, or hang out in the same group, it would be cool."
"I don't know," sighed Finn.
"I'll help you get Sam back," I bribed. He didn't say anything but I could tell he was thinking it through.
"For real?" he asked.
"Hundred percent," I smirked, and he shook my hand on it.