Betrayal

Finally, the bell for the end of the day rang. Geography and history had been a bit of a bore, to say the least. I started towards the entrance hall, when I saw Ethan walking in the opposite direction. Without hesitation, I followed him, but a few steps behind. It was only when he reached the entrance to the science corridor that I realised what he was doing. I ran up behind him and grabbed him, but he got out of my grip, so I ran round the other side of him to block his way.
"What the hell are you doing?" I shouted.
"What's best," he answered.
"Did you even read the letter?" I snapped.
"Yeah, actually. You said to give it a chance."
"So what do you call this?!"
"I gave it the rest of the day!"
"Ethan! Don't you get it? This is where we need to be!"
"It's not! Now let me past," he moaned. I panicked, and shoved him back so he fell over. 

The shouting had caught Mr Mead's attention from his classroom, and he came running down the corridor.
"Don't you get it? Still? Mum's gone! SHE'S NOT COMING BACK!" Ethan had propped himself up, but he was still on the floor.
"What's so wrong about making her proud, though?" snapped Ethan. "Making her happy." As he spoke Mr Mead helped him up.
"We can't, Ethan, she's not going to know. Dead means dead!" I shouted, squaring up to him.
"Calm down, Jake!" Ordered Mr Mead, squeezing himself between us and then forcing me to step backwards.
"She may not know, Jake, but can you imagine how she'd react if she knew how you were behaving," he said, quietly, looking me dead in the eye. "She'd be mortified. If she knew how you were treating your little brother. I think she'd be pretty disappointed, don't you?" I stayed quiet, because I knew he was right. "Now, Ethan," he said turning to face him, "Did you want to see me?" Ethan looked up at him, then across at me.
"You know what, forget it," he snapped. He walked up to me, and shoved the letter against my chest. It fell to the ground as I watched him march off.
"Ethan!" I shouted after him, but he didn't stop, or look back. I turned round and smashed my fist into the wall, trying to hold back the tears. Meanwhile, Mr Mead picked up the letter from the floor and read it.

"Jake," he said leaning on the wall next to me. "Jake, what's this?" He sounded concerned, as he held the letter in my face. I kept my forearm against the wall, but propped myself up further away from it.
"That wasn't for you to read," I muttered.
"Is there something wrong?" he asked.
"No, we're fine," I muttered, again.
"I mean, clearly you're not. You're a mess. So's Ethan."
"Maybe being in lessons again made us miss mum more. You have days that are worse than others."
"I appreciate that. But what about your dad?" He asked.
"What about him?" I pretended not to understand.
"What do you mean, he'll come to his senses? Is he looking after you properly?"
"Yeah, he's just, not-" I hesitated, "The same as before. His mood is different, that's all. Less fun. It upsets Ethan."
"Are you sure?" prompted Mr Mead, in a concerned tone of voice. I nodded back, and stood up properly. "Well, if you change your mind, I'll listen." Again, I nodded. "You better get off home, check your brother is alright." I smiled then headed off. I knew Mr Mead still wasn't satisfied.

When I got home the house was empty. I drew the curtains in the living room, got a packet of crisps and sat down in front of the TV, watching some movie about a zombie apocalypse. A couple of hours later someone staggered through the front door. I got up and walked to the living room door. 
"Alright, son?" slurred dad. I nodded back. "Where's my little Ethan?" he asked, a grin forming on his face.
"I'm not too sure," I whispered.
"You what?" he shouted.
"He didn't come home after school. But I can explain," I stuttered.
"You better!" he shouted, squaring up to me.
"He was going to ruin it all, we had an argument, but-"
"What do you mean, boy? You make no sense!" he barked.
"He wanted to say something about your," I paused, "condition."
"There is nothing wrong with me," he slurred again.
"You're a mess dad! Look at you!"
"You remember who you are, lad!"
"You're an alcoholic! You don't give a stuff about us!"
"You take that back!"
"Why? It's the truth! Mum's death isn't the issue here! It's you!" I shouted in his face. I saw his eyes changing, then all of sudden he spat in my face. I shut my eyes in disgust.
"You deserved that. You've lost me my good son," he stated bluntly.